Cajun fish fry is a simple but delicious fried catfish recipe! I’m talking New Orleans style with a whole lot of Creole Seasoning. The buttermilk mixture sets this Cajun fish fry recipe apart from all my other fish recipes. Well, enough of the small talk. Let’s jump into making this Southern Cajun fish recipe.
1. In a shallow dish, pour the buttermilk and place the fish fillets in it. Allow them to soak in the buttermilk for about 10-15 minutes to tenderize the fish and enhance the flavor.
2. In another shallow dish, combine the flour, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat.
4. Remove each fish fillet from the buttermilk, allowing any excess liquid to drip off. Dredge the fish fillets in the flour mixture, ensuring they are fully coated. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
6. Carefully place the coated fish fillets into the hot oil. Fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
7. Once cooked, transfer the fish fillets to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve the Cajun fish fry hot with lemon wedges on the side for a tangy touch.
You will need a skillet to fry your fish or a deep fryer.
You can store your fish in an airtight container. For reheating add to a microwave for 60 seconds to 2 minutes.
This Cajun fish fry is one recipe that you can enjoy with a side of side of French fries, hot sauce or tarter sauce.
Last Updated on September 5, 2023 by Ronalyn Alston | Published: September 4, 2023
September 4, 2023