Mushroom chicken and spinach are a must-try!! It has Southern smothered chicken with creamed spinach bacon and mushrooms! The mushrooms are pan-fried, and then a gravy is created. This reminds me of Panda Express chicken. I’m not bragging, but this is one healthy mushroom chicken recipe that I think you will enjoy Southern Mushroom Chicken.
Why You Should Make This Southern Mushroom Chicken?
Make Ahead of Time- this creamy chicken mushroom recipe can be created and placed in the refrigerator to enjoy later.
Healthy- mushroom chicken and spinach reminds me of a healthy chicken Marsala but with a few more ingredients.
Versatile- You can use any chicken for this recipe. Boneless skinless Chicken thighs, chicken breast, or even chicken tenders. It’s completely your preference.
Make Ahead Of Time- The creamy sauce makes the juicy chicken cook very tender, making it a great recipe to make and save for later. The fresh mushrooms taste even better the next day.
Ingredients For Mushroom Chicken
- Chicken Cutlets- You can use any delicious chicken you prefer. Bone-in or boneless chicken breasts are completely ok.
- Baby Spinach- The spinach works well with the garlic cream sauce and earthy mushrooms.
- Chicken Stock- about 1 cup of chicken broth will do for this mushroom chicken and spinach meal.
- Heavy Cream- This mushroom recipe wouldn’t be complete without the whipping cream.
- Seasonings- garlic powder, onion powder, fresh thyme,
- Dry White Wine- This step is optional but works well with unsalted butter and heavy cream.
- Fresh mushrooms are one of the main ingredients. You can use cremini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or any mushrooms.
- Parmesan Cheese- I added this to the finished meal’s top.
How To Make Mushroom Chicken?
- Season the chicken breasts.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Next, add your seasoned chicken breasts and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
4. Add the sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, and chopped shallots in the same skillet. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Pour the chicken broth into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the broth has reduced slightly.
5. Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
6. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted about 2 minutes.
7. Return the chicken to the skillet and cook on low for an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
- You can use kale if you don’t have baby spinach on hand.
- You can replace the white wine with white wine vinegar.
- Replace the heavy cream with coconut cream and add some oyster sauce to the mix to add so much flavor.
- Try using a crockpot to make your cream of mushroom chicken.
- Add a ton of fresh herbs to your chicken mushroom.
You will only need a cast iron skillet or a crockpot if you are making this cream of mushroom chicken in the crockpot.
After you remove the Southern Mushroom Chicken from the stove, allow it to cool before placing it into an airtight container.
What pairs well with mushroom chicken and spinach?
Garlic mashed potatoes, cauliflower rice, green beans, or brown rice make a good dinner.
This is the perfect special occasion date night recipe for any mushroom lover. Not only date night but family night or dinner for two or one. This will become your new favorite.
Mushroom Chicken and Spinach
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- Garlic Powder To taste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoons Butter Salted or Unsalted
- 8 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 3 Garlic Gloves Minced
- 2 Shallots Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoons White Wine Optional
- 4 Slices Bacon Cooked and crumbled ( Garnish )
- Parmesan Cheese Garnish
- Season the chicken breasts.4 boneless, Salt To Taste, Black Pepper To Taste, Garlic Powder To taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Next, add your seasoned chicken breasts and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes per side.2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 Tablespoons Butter
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, and chopped shallots. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes.8 ounces Mushrooms, 3 Garlic Gloves, 2 Shallots, 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- Pour the chicken broth into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the broth has reduced slightly.
- Stir in the heavy cream and white wine bring to a simmer. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.1 Cup Heavy Cream, 1 Teaspoons White Wine
- Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet (season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder) and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve with bacon crumbled and Parmesan for garnish4 Slices Bacon, Parmesan Cheese