French onion soup casserole made with caramelized onions, gooey cheese, and sautéed chicken breasts is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. This time of year is a good reason to have a hearty family dinner like this!
Mouthwatering- This is a heart family dinner that everyone will love.
Not only them but you too! The simple ingredients will make sure of that.😀
Quick and Simple- The rich flavor in this good casserole comes together in under an hour. Delicious recipes like this French onion soup casserole deserve a seat at your dinner table. Just remember plenty of cheese makes this recipe even better.
One Pot Casserole- I love that this is an easy recipe you can make in your casserole dish and then pop in the oven. You only need to cook your chicken or use shredded chicken. It makes things so much easier.
A full list of ingredients can be found in the recipe card below.
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. Season the chicken breasts with garlic, thyme, paprika, and pepper on both sides.
3. In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
4. Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides and the insides are done. Remove the chicken from the skillet. Shred and set it aside.
5. In the same skillet, add the sliced onions and cook until they become caramelized and golden brown, stirring occasionally. This process may take about 8-15 minutes.
6. Once the onions are caramelized, add minced garlic, dried thyme, salt, pepper, and dried rosemary. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
7. Pour beef broth, mushroom soup, and shredded chicken into the skillet. Let it cook for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together, and bring it to a simmer.
8. Pour the soup mixture into the baking dish or casserole dish.
9. Place a slice of crusty French bread on top of the mixture.
10. Lay slices of Gruyere or Swiss cheese over each slice of bread.
11. Place in a preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
12. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
13. Serve this French onion soup casserole with chicken breast hot, and enjoy!
Ground Beef- If you don’t want the chicken that is in this recipe, you can use beef or ground Turkey to make French onion beef casserole!
White Wine- If you want to spice up this casserole pan, add a splash of wine for added flavor.
Greens Beans- Let’s say you want something like a rice casserole. You can add green beans to the dish and then enjoy it with a side of rice.
You will need a casserole dish to cook your French onion soup in and a couple of pieces of cooking utensils.
You can store your classic French onion soup in an airtight container. You can also reheat the soup in the microwave.
Crusty bread and melted cheese.
The calorie content of French onion soup can vary depending on the recipe and ingredients used. On average, a serving of French onion soup can range from 200-400 calories.
French onion soup without bread can be considered keto-friendly, as it typically contains low-carb ingredients such as onions, beef broth, and cheese. However, it is important to check the specific recipe and ingredients used to ensure it align with your keto diet goals. Some variations of French onion soup may include ingredients that are not keto-friendly, such as flour as a thickener or the use of sweetened onions.
Last Updated on October 12, 2023 by Ronalyn Alston | Published: October 9, 2023
October 9, 2023