Sweet and sour fried chicken. Yep, that’s right you heard it! What more can you ask for than a good fried chicken recipe on top of a yummy sweet and sour sauce?!?!!!
How to save time on frying chicken
I’m not really the one to take a ton of steps to a food recipe. I like my food quickly and easily! Fair enough right? There are so many recipes out there with buttermilk being the key to frying chicken but I beg to differ. So, let’s jump right into this sweet and sour fried chicken recipe because if you are reading this you are all about saving time and energy!
What kind of side can I add to this sweet and sour fried chicken?
Let’s be honest, there is no one that wants to eat fried chicken without a good side to accompany. So, here are some great sides to add to your sweet and sour chicken. You can add white rice, mash potatoes, and some delicious gravy.
How to make fried chicken without eggs and milk
I am so glad, I’m not the only one who wants to know how to fry chicken without eggs and milk. Sometimes, the extra time in that recipe is not best for a mom who loves to save time because my kids aren’t having it. Lol. So, let’s get down to the good stuff.
How to fry chicken without eggs and milk? The first thing you would need to do of course is clean your chicken thoroughly. Once you have done that place your chicken in a bowl and add in all of the seasonings. I use garlic powder, seasoning salt, onion powder, and pepper. You can definitely add any other seasoning you may like but this is my preference. The best way to get all the seasoning on the chicken is to mix the seasoning together in a bowl, then add over chicken. Take your hands and massage the seasoning into the chicken.
How to flour chicken to fry
- The best way to get the best crispy and tasty fried chicken is to make sure you season your flour correctly. Seasoning your flour allows the chicken to have a ton of great flavor. You will need to season your flour with everything you seasoned your chicken with. Once you have seasoned your flour add in your chicken. Make sure you bathe your chicken in the flour.
How to fry chicken
Fried chicken has always been one of my favorite meals. It’s simple, quick, and easy! When frying chicken I like to use an entire bottle of vegetable oil. Once placed the vegetable oil in my 5 Qt cast iron pot or a pot of your choice. Allow the oil to reach 350 Fahrenheit. You can do this by using a cooking thermometer. Once, you have done so, place the chicken in hot grease. Cover the pot with a lid and let the chicken cook for 15-20 minutes. The chicken should be done once it begins to float.
Take out the pot and set onto a napkin.
Tip: chicken isn’t always done just because it’s golden brown. Use a meat thermometer to see if the chicken is around 165 degrees or higher.
How to make the sweet and sour chicken sauce
Making the sweet and sour chicken sauce is so easy. In a pot add in ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar. Wisp all these ingredients together and add the sauce over your chicken. You can use this as a dipping sauce as well. Place the chicken on a pan and place in a preheated oven of 350 Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes. Take the chicken out and enjoy!!
Sweet and sour fried chicken
- 1 cup flour self-rising all-purpose
- 2 cups oil canola or vegtable
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 cup ketcup
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar granulated
Sweet and sour sauce
- 1 lemon juiced or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup ketchup
- With clean chicken add 1/2 tbsp seasoning salt on the front and back of the meat
- add 1/2 tbsp pepper and garlic powder on the front and back of the meat
- In a bowl add flour
- Next, mix the rest of the seasoning salt, garlic powder and pepper into flour
- Add the chicken into the flour mixture(coat the chicken with flour)
- Add vegetable oil in a pan
- Allow grease to reach 350-375 degrees
- Allow cooking for 14 minutes and turn chick every 2 minutes.
- Take out the pan and place onto a napkin for 2-3 minutes to let grease drain
Sweet and sour sauce
- Turn pot on medium-high
- In pot add in ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Wisp all these ingredients together and drizzle the sauce over your chicken.
- Bring to a boil
- Place the chicken on a pan and place in a preheated oven of 350 Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes. Take the chicken out and enjoy!!