This one-pan oven-baked chicken and rice is so delicious and packed with flavor. The skin of the chicken is so crunchy and delicious. I promise you will continue to make this one-pot chicken and rice over and over again.
What type of chicken to use for this one-pan chicken and rice recipe?
I use chicken thighs. You can use chicken breast, but I have never tried to make the recipe with chicken breast.
How to marinate the chicken thighs for this one-pan chicken and rice
The first thing you do of course is to clean the chicken thighs. The next thing you need to do is take a knife and poke small holes into the chicken thighs in order to let the season soak into the meat. The reason for doing this is to allow the meat to become more tender and also have more flavor. I only allow my chicken to marinate for about an hour or two, but you can allow the meat to marinate overnight if you prefer. Lastly, the longer you let the meat marinate the better. Make sure to place saran wrap over the chicken tightly.
How to season the chicken thighs for this one-pan oven-baked chicken and rice
To season your chicken thighs the only thing you would need to do is gather all your seasonings into a bowl. Once you have done that pour the seasoning evenly onto your chicken thighs and with your hands massage the seasoning into the chicken thighs.
How to cook the chicken thighs?
The next step will be to place oil in your pan, but only place about half an inch of oil in your pan. I used my cast iron pan from Amazon. Let the oil heat up then place your chicken thighs into the oil. Let the chicken thighs fry on both sides for about 8 to 10 minutes. We are not trying to completely cook the chicken thighs. We are only trying to give it a crunchy texture on the outside. Next, take the chicken out of the pan and set it to the side.
How to cook rice/ what type of rice to use?
For this recipe, I choose to use jambalaya rice. Of course, you can use jasmine rice if you decide to. In the same pan that the chicken was in. Place some butter, chopped sausages, and chopped onions into the pan along with jambalaya rice. Stir the rice while frying. Next, add in low sodium chicken broth, place your chicken back into the pan, and add chopped parsley for color. Then place the top on the pan. Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Lastly, let the one-pan oven-baked chicken and rice cook for 45 minutes.
If you enjoyed this chicken and rice recipe you will definitely enjoy my easy parmesan chicken recipe.
I hope you enjoy it!!
One-pan oven baked chicken and rice
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 box zatarain's New Orleans Style Mixes, Jambalaya Family size
- 1/2 orange bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Tony Chachere's Seasoning Creole
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp parsley fresh or dried
- 2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt to your liking
- 1 tsp pepper to your liking
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- In a bowl place your chicken thighs
- In a bowl mix all your seasonings together and add into the bowl of chicken thighs
- Apply the seasonings generously over the chicken
- Turn the stove on medium-high
- In a pan add in olive oil
- Add the chicken thighs into pan
- Cook chicken thighs in pan on both sides for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is browned
- Take chicken out pan and sit to the side
- Add in all chopped onions along with Worcestershire sauce into the pan
- Add in zatarain's New Orleans Style Mixes, Jambalaya Family size into the pan
- Stir and allow to cook for 5 minutes
- Add low sodium chicken broth to the pan
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes
- Place chicken back into the pan of rice
- Place the lid onto the pan
- Preheat oven to 375 fahrenheit
- Place pan in the oven for 45 minutes
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!