When it comes to shrimp and cheesy bacon grits who doesn’t love that delicious combination. These are one of my all-time favorites. The grits and the cheesy bacon grits are so simple and easy to make. So, let’s get to making this delicious recipe.
What type of shrimp should I use for this shrimp and cheesy bacon grits recipe?
I would definitely recommend shrimp that is already peeled. Also, I buy shrimp that is frozen. You can buy the shrimp you have to peel but I wouldn’t suggest that. Also, ale sure you buy the large or jumbo shrimp. This way when the heat starts to cook the shrimp you will have more meat.
What type of bacon should I use?
The bacon I used for this recipe is thick bacon. I hardly ever buy thinly sliced bacon because once you have cooked the bacon it’s almost nothing left. It’s also not very enjoyable.
How long should I cook my shrimp for?
Depending on the size of the shrimp it can be cooked for 2-4 minutes on each side or 4-6 minutes on each side. The larger the shrimp the more you allow to cook but I personally never go pass 4-6 minutes on each side with any shrimp because shrimp has the tendency to get a chewy-like texture. This is when you know the shrimp is over cooked.
What type of liquid do I use in grits?
I use buttermilk & water in my grits, but you can also use regular milk or water. The reason I use buttermilk is because it makes the grits is to give the grits a creamy texture.
What kind of cheese do I use for my grits?
For, the cheese on these grits I used sharp cheddar shredded cheese. The sharp cheese has this delicious, aged taste to it that definitely compliments the grits. This cheese also will drive your taste buds crazy but of course in a good way!
How do I cook grits?
To cook grits and rice can be intimidating to some but of you follow these directions I’m about to give you. It shouldn’t be a problem. In a pot add in your 4 cups of water and 1 ¾ cups of buttermilk along with 1 teaspoon of salt. Turn the stove onto medium-high. Now, wait until the water begins to boil then add in your uncooked washed grits (1 cup). When you are adding in the grits make sure you begin to stir the grits right after. Next, reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes with the occasional stir. Add in your cheese afterwards.
How do I make a gravy for this shrimp and cheesy bacon grits recipe?
To make brown gravy for this recipe is quite simple and can be found here. If you liked this shrimp and cheesy bacon grits recipe then you will love my cheesy mash potatoes.
Well, until next time folks!
Shrimp and cheesy bacon grits
- 2 lb Jumbo shrimp deveined
- 6 Slices Thick bacon Chopped
- 1 Cup Grits not cooked
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Salt To your liking
- 1 Tsp Pepper to your liking
- 1/2 Cup Parsley
- 1 Cup Sharp cheddar cheese shredded to your liking
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic to your liking
- 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning to your liking
- In a pot pot set on medium-high, add in your water and buttermilk then bring to a boil
- Next, add in your washed grits while stirring at the same time to avoid the grits from getting lumps
- Place a lid over the grits and turn stove on low Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes
- Occasionally stir grit to keep them from getting lumpy
- Remove from the heat stir in sharp cheddar cheese, butter, and salt. Begin cooking bacon
- Place stove on medium
- In a pot add in a teaspoon of butter along with 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- Add in your shrimp. Don’t overcrowd the pot with shrimp
- Add creole seasoning and pepper
- Cook shrimp until they become opaque or pink
- Add in fresh chopped parsley
- Add grits in a bowl then add the cheese, shrimp, parsley, and chopped bacon on top.