This recipe is another one that I must say is one of my favorites. The stir fry chicken marinade is the best. Sweet and sour chicken with sweet bell peppers mixed in gives this recipe an extra flavor boost! Not that it needs it, but enough of the small talk. Let me show you how to make sweet and sour chicken.
What chicken do I use for this sweet and sour chicken Chinese style?
For this sweet and sour chicken recipe, I used chicken breast and cut them up into small bite-size pieces, but if you don’t have any chicken breast on hand, you can use chicken tenders for this recipe that will work as well. I wouldn’t recommend any other chicken than that.
How do I make sweet and sour sauce?
To make the sauce for this chicken recipe is truly simple. Add ketchup, water, sugar, soy sauce, and cornstarch to a bowl. Mix all those ingredients together, and there is your sauce to smother your chicken.
How do I make easy sweet and sour chicken recipes?
You will first need to gather your ingredients (chicken, flour, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper, soy sauce, eggs, water, vegetable oil, and cornstarch). Cut your bell peppers into bite-size pieces. Once you have done this, make sure to clean your chicken thoroughly. Now, cut your chicken into bite-size pieces. Place your chicken in a bowl and season the chicken with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Sit your chicken to the side. Add flour, cornstarch, eggs, soy sauce, and water to another bowl. Next, mix those ingredients. In a pan, preheat your vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Grab the chicken that you sat to the side.
Use your tongs to dip the chicken into the batter, then gently place it into the hot grease. Use a meat thermometer to see if meat has reached 170 degrees. This can take a while because there are so many pieces of chicken. If you are comfortable, remove the chicken once they are golden brown and check. If the chicken is not done, keep frying until done.
2nd half of the sweet and sour chicken recipe
So, we will place 1 tsp of vegetable oil in the pan on medium-low. Next, add in your bite-size red and yellow bell peppers. Allow the peppers to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Now, add in your sauce and allow to cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Make sure you stir the ingredients. Lastly, add in your chicken and stir. Serve with a hot plate of rice! There you have it, sweet and sour chicken.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you would love to make my white rice to go along with this recipe.
Well, until next time, chow!
How to make sweet and sour chicken
- 1 Pound Chicken breast Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Red bell pepper Cut into bite-size
- 1/2 Green bell pepper Cut into bite-size
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Cup Self-rising flour
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
Sweet and sour sauce
- 5 Tbsp Sugar
- 5 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 5 Tbsp White Vinegar
- Cut your chicken into bite-size1 Pound Chicken breast
- Cut your bell peppers into bite-size pieces1/2 Red bell pepper, 1/2 Green bell pepper
- Place your chicken in a bowl and season the chicken1/2 Tsp Salt, 1/2 Tsp Pepper, 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- Sit your chicken to the side
- Preheat your vegetable oil to 350 degrees1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- Mix all your ingredients together until combined(should be a smooth consistency )1 Large Egg, 1 Cup Self-rising flour, 1/2 Cup Water, 1/4 Tsp Baking powder, 1 Tbsp Cornstarch, 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Grab the chicken that you sat to the side
- Use your tongs to dip the chicken into the batter then gently place into the hot grease
- Cook chicken until the temperature has reached 170 degrees inside
Sweet and sour sauce
- In a bowl add all your ingredients and mix well5 Tbsp Sugar, 5 Tbsp Ketchup, 1 Tbsp Soy sauce, 5 Tbsp White Vinegar
- Place 1 tsp of vegetable oil in the pan on medium-low
- Add in your bite-size red and yellow peppers
- Cook the peppers for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in your sweet and sour sauce and allow to cook for 4 to 6 minutes
- Stir the ingredients
- Add in your chicken and stir and allow to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes
- Serve and enjoy