Southern Chicken Salad. Experience this Southern chicken salad recipe’s delectable flavors featuring tender chicken breasts. These chicken salad sandwiches are a fantastic way to enjoy this easy recipe. With the addition of sweet relish and a food processor, you can create a perfectly textured chicken salad. Adding hard-boiled eggs and a sprinkle of black pepper elevates the taste even further.
Ingredients For Southern Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Chicken Breast- To make this homemade chicken salad recipe I used chicken breast, but you can use shredded chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken for this Southern style chicken salad recipe. It’s your personal preference as to what you pick up from your local grocery store.
- Boiled Eggs- One of my favorite ways to make Southern chicken salad is with eggs. For the best results, make sure that they are boiled and peeled. Season generously with celery salt. This will add great flavor to the white meat and preserve it for the next day.
- Seasonings- garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and seasoning salt is some of the seasonings that I used in this southern-style chicken salad recipe.
- Green Peppers– in this classic recipe, you will need bell peppers in order to make this healthy chicken salad.
- Dill relish- this is used to give this really good chicken salad sandwich that sweet pickles taste. You don’t want to skip out on this ingredient.
- Honey Mustard- This is used to contribute to the creamy dressing. You can also use dijon mustard.
How To Make Southern Chicken Salad
In a large pot, bring water and chicken broth to a boil. Add the chicken and cook until fully cooked and tender. Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool. Once cooled, shred the chicken into small pieces.
In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, boiled eggs (chopped), garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, seasoning salt, onions, and green peppers, mayonnaise, honey mustard, sweet relish, and sugar. Pour this dressing over the chicken mixture and stir until everything is well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Cut the croissant in half and lightly brush the inside with the honey. Place a generous amount of chicken salad onto the bottom half of the croissant. Top with the other half.
Serve the chicken salad croissant as a delicious lunch or light dinner option.
- Serve the chicken salad on whole-grain bread for a healthier twist.
- This recipe is perfect for a baby shower, as it can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.
- Add sweet pickle cubes to the chicken salad for a burst of flavor.
- Make sure to cut the chicken into large chunks for a satisfying texture.
- Enjoy the chicken salad as a delicious lunch option, either on its own or as a sandwich filling.
- The best way to make this chicken salad is by combining the savory flavors of mayo, Dijon mustard, and green onions in a large mixing bowl.
- Serve the chicken salad on buttery croissants for an extra special touch.
- Pair the chicken salad with crispy potato chips for a tasty side dish.
- Add some freshness to the chicken salad by including chopped green onions.
- Enhance the flavor of the chicken salad by adding a teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
- Substitute mayo with Greek yogurt for a lighter version of the chicken salad.
- Serve the chicken salad as a light dinner option, paired with a side of fresh greens.
- Use an Instant Pot to cook the chicken for the salad quickly.
- Add a touch of tanginess with a dollop of yellow mustard in the chicken salad.
- Use leftover rotisserie chicken as a time-saving option for making this salad.
- Try a grapes recipe to add a touch of sweetness to the chicken salad.
- Enhance the taste of the chicken salad with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Use Duke’s mayo in the chicken salad for a creamy and rich texture.
- Refrigerate: If you have leftover chicken salad, store it in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. This will help maintain its freshness and prevent bacterial growth.
- Use within a few days: Chicken salad should ideally be consumed within 3-4 days of preparation. After that, it may start to lose its quality and taste.
- Separation: If your chicken salad contains any dressings or mayonnaise, they can sometimes separate when stored. Before serving, give it a good stir to mix everything back together.
- Freezing: If you want to store chicken salad for a longer period, you can freeze it. However, keep in mind that the texture and consistency may slightly change upon thawing. I recommend freezing the chicken salad without any dressing or mayonnaise, as they don’t freeze well. Add the dressing or mayo after thawing.
What To Pair With Southern Chicken Salad?
Serve this delightful chicken salad on a bed of lettuce or hot honey for a great option. For an extra kick, include sweet pickle relish and garlic powder. If you prefer dark meat, you can use it instead of chicken breasts next time you make this recipe. Mixing in some miracle whip will enhance the creaminess. This easy meal is a beautiful choice for any occasion. For your convenience, a printable recipe card is available. Pair this delicious chicken salad with french fries or some juicy grapes for a complete and satisfying meal. You’ll agree that this is the best chicken salad sandwich you’ve ever tasted!
What type of chicken to use for this Southern chicken salad sandwich?
We all know that there are so many different types of chicken out there, but for this recipe, I chose to use bone-in chicken, or you can use a whole chicken, but I wouldn’t suggest chicken in the can.
Southern chicken salad is indeed a wonderful dish. It’s a delicious combination of tender chicken, flavorful seasonings, and various ingredients that add a delightful crunch and taste. Whether it’s enjoyed on its own, as a sandwich filling, or served alongside some fresh greens, it’s a versatile and satisfying meal option. The blend of flavors and textures in southern chicken salad makes it a favorite for many people. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!
Southern Chicken Salad
- 2 lb Chicken Breast You can also used already cooked chicken
- 3 Eggs Boiled
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder To your liking
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder To your liking
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper To your liking
- 1/2 Tablespoon Seasoning salt To your liking
- 1/4 Cup Green peppers chopped(To your liking)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar To your liking
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Honey Mustard
- 1/2 Cup Sweet relish To your liking
- 1/4 Cup Chicken broth
- Croissant (Optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey (Optional)
- In a large pot, bring water and chicken broth to a boil. Add the chicken and cook until fully cooked and tender. Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool. Once cooled, shred the chicken into small pieces.2 lb Chicken Breast, 1/4 Cup Chicken broth
- In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, boiled eggs (chopped), garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, seasoning salt, onions, and green peppers, mayonnaise, honey mustard, sweet relish, and sugar. Pour this dressing over the chicken mixture and stir until everything is well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.3 Eggs, 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder, 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder, 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper, 1/2 Tablespoon Seasoning salt, 1/4 Cup Green peppers, 1/3 Cup Sugar, 1 Cup Mayonnaise, 1 Tablespoon Honey Mustard, 1/2 Cup Sweet relish
- Cut the croissant in half and lightly brush the inside with the honey. Place a generous amount of chicken salad onto the bottom half of the croissant. Top with the other half. (Optional Step)1 Tablespoon Honey
- Place a generous amount of chicken salad onto the bottom half of the croissant. Top with the other half. Add topping such as raisins and sliced avocados.Croissant
- Serve the chicken salad croissant as a delicious lunch or light dinner option.