Cajun chicken penne is an oh-so-delicious creamy sauce made with penne pasta and chicken. Let me start by saying one-pot meals are my absolute favorite. This creamy Cajun chicken pasta recipe is so cheesy, not to mention the simplicity in this Cajun chicken pasta. It will take you all of 20 minutes to recreate this recipe.
Ingredients You Will Need For Cajun Chicken Pasta
Chicken Breast- This is the star of the show. You should use a meat mallet to make sure that you flatten the chicken evenly. This will help cook evenly and will be a great recipe to enjoy repeatedly!
Heavy Whipping Cream- The cream makes the creamy Cajun sauce extra smooth and tasty.
Tomato Paste- This pasta dish wouldn’t be complete without the paste.
Penne-You want to cook the noodles until al dente, and that’s it. The pasta and the cajun-seasoned chicken taste so good together.
Bell Peppers- The peppers with the added Cajun spices, onion powder, and garlic powder are a chef’s kiss. You can use red bell pepper or green pepper.
The remaining ingredients and instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
How To Make Cajun Pasta?
- To make this cajun chicken recipe, thoroughly clean your chicken and set it off to the side.
- Once you have done that, add your yogurt to a separate bowl. Next, add garlic paste, black pepper, salt, paprika, lime juice, and Cajun seasoning. Mix all of these ingredients.
- Place your chicken breast into the mixture, ensuring every part of the chicken is covered. Sit in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for 2 hours. This step is optional but is recommended.
- Turn your large nonstick skillet on medium-low and add in olive oil. Next, add in your chicken. Let cook until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
- Once the tender chicken breast is done, take the chicken out of the pot and sit to the side.
- In the same pot, add in your butter. Once the butter has melted, add in your chopped onions, minced garlic, tomato paste, and yellow bell pepper, and then stir.
- Next, add in your heavy cream. And stir.
- Lastly, add your Parmesan cheese and sharp cheddar cheese and begin to stir. At this point, you want to season to taste. Adjust the spice level to your liking.
- Next, add in your cooked penne noodles and stir. Top with your cooked chopped chicken. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
- I love to add in a few pieces of andouille sausage or any smoked sausage. This will make something like a Cajun jambalaya pasta.
- Shrimp is perfect to add to this dish. I’m telling you that the possibilities are endless in this creamy cajun Chicken penne.
- White wine is also a great way to add that zesty taste to your delicious cream sauce.
You can store this creamy cajun chicken pasta in the refrigerator. You also must ensure that this easy pasta recipe is stored in an airtight container.
Can I use any pasta for this recipe?
For this creamy pasta, I used penne pasta. I used penne pasta because I have found that it holds the Cajun sauce well. The sauce is pretty thick, so I chose a heavier pasta. You are free to use any other type of pasta that you would like. Ensure you don’t overcook the pasta, and should be just fine.
What type of chicken can I use to make this Cajun chicken recipe?
We all know you can use many different types of chicken. You have chicken thighs, tenders, wings, legs, and whole chicken. That’s a lot of chicken, but you get my point. Anywho, I used chicken breast to make this cajun penne recipe. Although, I don’t think it would be awful if you used chicken tenders. I’m pretty confident when I say that you shouldn’t have any issues with using chicken tenders as long as you season the chicken correctly. Other than tenders to substitute the chicken breast for this recipe, I wouldn’t recommend it.
This Creamy Cajun Chicken Penne will be a family favorite that promotes healthy eating simultaneously. This recipe is a no-brainer when you want to create an easy weeknight dinner that can be finished in just minutes.
If you enjoyed this creamy Cajun chicken penne recipe, check out my one-pan chicken and rice dinner.
Cajun Chicken Penne
- 2 Chicken Breast Boneless
- 3 Tbsp Yogurt
- 2 Tsp Garlic paste
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1 Tsp Dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Black pepper to taste
Creamy Cajun sauce
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Penne noodles al dente
- 2 Cups Heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp Minced garlic
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Cup Sharp shredded cheese
- 1/2 Cup Onion chopped
- 1/2 Cup Yellow bell pepper
- 1 Tsp Tomato paste
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cajun seasoning
- Thoroughly clean your chicken.2 Chicken Breast
- In a bowl, add your yogurt.3 Tbsp Yogurt
- Next, add in the remainder of the chicken marinade ingredients list.2 Tsp Garlic paste, 1 Tbsp Lime juice, 1 Tsp Dried parsley, 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning, 1 Tsp Paprika, 1 Tsp Salt, 1 Tsp Black pepper
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Add your chicken and mix well.
- Sit the chicken in the fridge for 2 hours (Optional)
- Turn your skillet on medium-low and add in olive oil.
- Next add in your chicken. Let cook until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
- Once the chicken is done, take the chicken out of the pot and sit to the side.
- In the same pot, add in your butter. Once the butter has melted, add in your chopped onions, minced garlic, tomato paste, and yellow bell pepper then stir. Allow to cook until softened.2 Tbsp Butter, 1 Tbsp Minced garlic, 1/2 Cup Onion, 1/2 Cup Yellow bell pepper, 1 Tsp Tomato paste
- Add in your heavy cream2 Cups Heavy cream
- Add in your Parmesan cheese, sharp cheddar cheese and begin to stir. Lastly, add black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and Cajun seasoning to the sauce and stir. Add in your cooked penne noodles then stir.1 Tbsp Salt, 1 Tbsp Black pepper, 1 Penne noodles, 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese, 1 Tsp Cajun seasoning, 1/2 Cup Sharp shredded cheese
- Garnish and enjoy