Air fryer clams is one of those recipes that you can whip up and have on the table in a few minutes. Talk about a plate of delicious flavors. This recipe takes about 15 minutes. Just wait until you see that beautiful golden brown color! Any seafood lover would love this tasty snack! No more standing up over the stove and waiting for hours. Enough said. Southern Air Fried clams coming right up!!
What are Clams?
Clams are shellfish that live in the ocean. They have a hard shell and a soft body inside. Clams eat by filtering tiny particles from the water. Here in Charleston, South Carolina, you can dig for fresh clams at a certain time of year. You will only need a fresh water fishing license. In addition, clams can bury themselves in the sand or mud to stay safe. Clams help keep the ocean clean by filtering water and they are also food for other animals. Clams are a Southern delicacy here in the South.
Why You Should Make These Air Fryer Clams?
- Quick and easy– Making air fryer clams is a breeze. All I used was a few simple steps, and you can have a delicious seafood dish on your table in no time.
- Healthier alternative– Air frying clams require little to no oil, making them a healthier option compared to traditional deep fried clams. It’s definitely the healthier option. You can also enjoy the same crispy texture and delicious flavor without the added calories.
- Versatile-Air fryer clams can be seasoned and flavored in various ways, allowing you to customize the dish to your taste preferences. So, if you prefer spicy, tangy, garlic-infused flavors, or fried clams. You can easily achieve it with this cooking method.
- Minimal cleanup– Unlike deep frying, air frying clams create less mess and requires minimal cleanup. You won’t have to deal with hot oil splatters or the lingering smell of fried food in your kitchen.
- Great for entertaining– Air fryer clams make a great appetizer or main course for parties and gatherings. They are sure to impress your guests with their crispy exterior and tender, juicy interior.
- Budget-friendly– Clams are generally an affordable seafood option, making air fryer clams a budget-friendly choice for seafood lovers. You can enjoy a restaurant-quality dish at a fraction of the cost by preparing it at home. I don’t know about you but that’s a win for me and my family!
Ingredients For Air Fryer Clams
Baby Clams- You can use clams that are still in the soft shell or you can use the baby clams that come already pre-shelled.I would recommend the pre-shelled clams that come in the can for the best results.
Olive Oil- Using olive oil ensures that the seasonings will stick well onto the air fryer clam. You want to make sure that you’re not skipping this step because the seasoning is a must for this delicious air fryer meal. 😊
All Purpose Flour– This will aid in giving these
Seasonings- Honestly you can use any seasonings of your choice. Fresh herbs like thyme, creole seasoning, and cayenne pepper is a great way to start. I used garlic powder, salt, and a little bit of creole seasoning.
A full list of ingredients can be found in the recipe card below!
How To Make Air Fryer Clams?
1. First, you want to preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees f. Next, rinse your clams thoroughly under cold water to remove any dirt or sand.
2. In addition, discard any clams that are cracked or open. This is for fresh out of the water clams if they are store-bought refer back to step 1.
3. Next, in a large bowl add your clams and pat them dry with paper towels, combine the clams with a drizzle of olive oil and seasonings (garlic powder, creole seasoning and flour. Now toss the clams until they are evenly coated.
4. Place the coated clams in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not overcrowded. If necessary, cook them in batches. Lightly spray the clams with cooking oil spray to help them brown and crisp up.
6. Cook the clams in the air fryer for about 6-8 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking to ensure even browning. Once cooked, carefully remove the clams from the air fryer using tongs or a slotted spoon. Be cautious as they will be hot.
Variations For Air Fryer Clams
- Spicy- If you want to kick things up a notch add some hot sauce.
- Sweet and Spicy- so, you can drizzle hot honey sauce over your over the top of your air fryer clams. You will have sweet and spicy all in one!
- Deep Frying- Let’s say you get a little tired of these air fryer clams you can use the same steps just add a little bit of all-purpose flour and add to vegetable oil at 350 degrees for about 8 to 10 minutes and will have some tasty fried clam.
- Parmesan Cheese– A great way to add some depth to the air fryer clam is to add Parmesan cheese. Yep you heard me right. Sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan cheese over the top for one delicious meal.
- Clam Sushi- Eat these clams exactly how they are. Add some hot sauce and you are good to go.
- Baked Clam– Instead of placing them in the air fryer baked them in the oven. Use the same instructions as the air fryer.
- Stuffed Clams– You will need the whole clams for this. Simply remove the clams from the shell and make a cream mixture with the clam filling. Place back in the shell, bake and enjoy.
The main thing you will need in this recipe is an air fryer. This will ensure that you have the best results when air frying your clams. You can opt to use a air fryer convection oven or a regular air fryer.
You can store these air fryer clams in an airtight container. So, that they can hold their freshness for a longer time. You can store cooked whole belly clam for up to 3 to 4 days.
What color or clams?
Clams typically come in various shades of white, cream, beige, and gray. However, there are also some species of clams that have colorful shells, such as the purple varnish clam or the sunrise clam, which have purple and orange hues respectively.
What are clam strips?
Clam strips are a type of seafood dish made from the meat of clams. The meat is typically sliced into thin strips, breaded or battered, and then deep-fried until crispy. This results in a popular appetizer or main dish commonly found in seafood restaurants. Clam strips are often served with dipping sauces such as tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.
What are clam bites?
Clam bites are another type of seafood dish made from clams. Instead of being sliced into thin strips, the clam meat is typically chopped into smaller, bite-sized pieces. These pieces are then breaded or battered and fried until golden and crispy. Clam bites are similar to clam strips but are smaller in size, making them easier to eat as finger food or appetizers. They can also be served with dipping sauces like tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.
Food Safety About Fried Clams
Note: It’s important to ensure that the fried clams are fresh and properly cleaned before cooking. Also, be cautious not to overcook the clams as they can become tough and rubbery.
In conclusion, if you are looking for more seafood air fryer recipes with natural flavor like these whole belly clams for your entire family with a similar great taste that will have your taste buds running wild. Check out my seafood feast. I promise this will be an excellent choice for your family gatherings
Air Fryer Clams
- 1 Can Baby Clams Drained
- 1/2 Teaspoons
- 1/2 Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 Garlic Powder
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- Tartar Sauce Dipping
- First, you want to preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees f. Next, rinse your clams thoroughly under cold water to remove any dirt or sand.
- Next, in a large bowl add your clams and pat them dry with paper towels, combine the clams with a drizzle of olive oil and seasonings (garlic powder, ground black pepper, creole seasoning and flour. Now toss the clams until they are evenly coated.1 Can Baby Clams, 1/2 Teaspoons, 1/2 Creole Seasoning, 1/2 Garlic Powder, 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- Shake off any excess flour.
- Place the coated clams in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not overcrowded. If necessary, cook them in batches.
- Lightly spray the clams with cooking oil spray to help them brown and crisp up.
- Cook the clams in the air fryer for about 6-8 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the clams from the air fryer using tongs or a slotted spoon. Be cautious as they will be hot. Serve with tarter sauce.Tartar Sauce