Pom Pom potato, anyone? Golden brown crispy potatoes fried up to perfection. To add to all of the goodness, it’s then sprinkled with a bit of salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. This potato Pom poms recipe is straightforward to make and can be paired with just about any side. Such as my buttermilk fried chicken!
They are a delicious fried potato snack made with all-purpose flour. They remind me of Tater tot’s. You start by slicing your potatoes in multiple ways to achieve the look and consistency we are going for! You then allow them to soak in water for about an hour. Then fry up and serve. This recipe is extremely easy to make and can be served alone or with many different recipes, such as hot honey or baked chicken. The possibilities are endless with this Pom Pom potato recipe!
1. Clean, peel, and wash your potatoes. Place a potato flat-side down on a cutting board and position 2 chopsticks against its sides as a guide. Slice ⅛" thick across the potato using a knife perpendicular to the chopsticks. Rotate the potato 90º and cut ⅛" slices, creating a grid pattern.
2. Place in a water bowl and allow to sit for 1 hour.
3. To a bowl, add flour, garlic powder, black pepper, and onion powder,. Mix well. Place the potatoes in the mixture, making sure to cover all of the potatoes. Use your hands and open the potatoes to get all of the flour mixture in.
4. heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it reaches around 350°F (175°C) in a large frying pan or deep fryer. Carefully add the potato cubes to the hot oil, ensuring they are fully submerged. Fry them in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan. Fry the potatoes for about 5-7 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
5. Once fried, remove the potatoes from the oil using a slotted spoon or tongs, and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
6. While the potatoes are still hot, later with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt to taste.
Get creative with your potato Pom poms and mix things up. I have a few suggestions below.
Seasonings- as I mentioned above you can use a plethora of different seasonings and herbs. Try seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, or Italian seasoning.
Different Potatoes- use any potatoes that you may have on hand. Red potatoes, white potatoes, or even purple potatoes!
Fried Apples- try using fruit that are fry-able such as green apples. Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top and there you have it!
Sauces- get creative and add different types of sauces to your dish such as caramel for the apples and honey mustard for the potato Pom Poms.
Knife: A sharp knife will be needed for peeling and shaping the potatoes.
Cutting Board: Use a stable cutting board for safety and convenience.
Properly storing pom pom potatoes involves allowing them to cool, placing them in an airtight container, and refrigerating them for 3-4 days. To reheat, bake them in the oven at 375°F for 10-15 minutes or microwave them in short intervals, stirring occasionally. Make sure to check the internal temperature for safety and add seasoning for extra flavor.
In conclusion, Pom Pom potatoes are a unique and delicious variety of potatoes. They have a distinctive shape and texture that adds a fun and whimsical element to any dish. Whether you choose to boil, roast, or fry them, Pom Pom potatoes are versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. They are an excellent option for adding a touch of creativity and visual appeal to your meals.
Last Updated on September 4, 2023 by Ronalyn Alston | Published: August 30, 2023
August 30, 2023