These smothered Turkey wings fall off of the bone deliciously. Oven-roasted turkey wings are baked to perfection and then smothered in some of the most mind-blowing gravy! These turkey wings are pretty much cooked in the oven the entire time. Making this recipe a quick, simple, and easy one. I mean, come on. Who doesn’t like a simple recipe!? Now, let’s get into these smothered turkey wings.
Why you should make these smothered Turkey wings
You should make this turkey wings and rice recipe, and I say rice because it pairs amazingly with this dish. These turkey wings may take some time to cook, but they will not disappoint you. They are fall-off-the-bone tender, and the flavors are mind-blowing.
The ingredients for these baked Turkey wings are pretty simple and can be found at any local grocery store.
Turkey Wings- I know some extremely big turkey wings are out there, but I try to stick to the smaller ones.
Cajun Seasoning- I used a small amount of cajun seasoning for these southern turkey wings. You can use it as much as you like. Just remember they may be a bit spicier.
Other Seasonings-Garlic Powder, pepper, chicken bouillon, and salt. These are the perfect combinations of seasonings to make the best southern-baked turkey wings.
Olive Oil- Used to rub onto the turkey wings and blend the seasonings in better.
Green bell peppers- Add a ton of flavor and texture. You can also use red and green bell peppers.
Onions- also add a great deal of flavor.
Butter-Softens the turkey meat and brings out a ton of flavor.
Cornstarch- Helps to thicken the turkey gravy.
Chicken Broth- The base of the turkey gravy. No need to make turkey drippings for this recipe.
How to make smothered turkey wings?
There are several ways to cook Turkey wings. You can boil them, bake them and even fry them. For this recipe, we are going to be making baked turkey wings then we are going to smother the turkey wings in some delicious gravy. In order to cook and bake turkey wings, you can either boil them first, or you can clean them thoroughly and throw them right into the oven. So, let me give you a step-by-step way to bake turkey wings.
Spicy- To make them a bit spicier, add more Cajun seasonings or whatever spices you may like.
Smoked Turkey Wings- You can choose to smoke these turkey wings.
Slow cooker Turkey Wings- You don’t always have to bake them. You can add them to the slow cooker and go about your business. It’s super easy.
Instant Pot turkey wings- You can place them in the instant pot. They will be falling off of the bone.
You will need a baking dish and aluminum foil.
Place these turkey wings with gravy in an airtight container. I also will use a zip lock bag to store these turkey wings with rice.
Place in the oven for 1 minute or until it reaches your desired temperature. If you are warming up baked turkey wings and rice, just splash a bit of water over the top the proceed to warm.
Where to buy turkey wings?
When buying turkey wings, it can become pretty complicated. Turkey wings are seasonal, so they may not be available all year. I have a few places where I’ve been lucky enough to find them. A meat market, as well as your local grocery store, is a good place to start. If you have a Food Lion in your area, you can ask the meat department if they have some in the back.
Healthy Turkey Wings
For the most part, this recipe is pretty healthy and will be perfect for meal prepping.
Sides that pair well with smothered wings
Enjoyed this recipe please don’t hesitate to tag me on Instagram @ronalyntalston.
The Best Smothered Turkey Wings
- Aluminum Foil
- 4 Turkey Wings
- 1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Large Bell Pepper Chopped You can use red and green bell peppers if you like
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and cut your meat4 Turkey Wings
- Add your meat to a dish and drizzle olive oil over the meat1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Season your meat and rub the seasonings in thoroughly1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning, 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon, 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, ½ Teaspoon Salt, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Add your chopped onions, bell peppers, and butter over turkey wings.1 Large Onion Chopped, 1 Large Bell Pepper Chopped, 2 Tablespoon Butter
- Add chicken broth to a bowl along with cornstarch and mix until dissolved.2 Teaspoon Cornstarch, 2 Cup Chicken Broth
- Next, add the mixture to the corner of the dish, making sure not to pour over your already-seasoned turkey wings.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
- Place your turkey wings into the oven for an hour, then take the aluminum foil off and place them back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.