Baked turkey wings are one recipe that you will repeatedly make. The meat is seasoned to perfection. If done correctly, the meat will be fall off the bone tender. This turkey wings recipe doesn’t have a lot of ingredients and won’t take much time to assemble. The gravy is pure perfection, especially when added to a bed of white rice!
Why you will love these baked Turkey wings
Baked Turkey wings is one of the best southern comfort foods out there! The meat is seasoned to perfection. Not to mention how healthy they are.
What are the ingredients for these baked turkey wings
Turkey Wings– Go for the smaller turkey wings. The more enormous turkey wings are harder to cook.
Baked Turkey wings Seasonings– Chicken Bouillon, black Pepper, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and garlic powder.
Olive Oil- will allow you to rub those seasonings well onto your turkey wings.
Butter- Gives your wings more flavor and stops the wings from sticking to the pan.
Chicken Stock- Rich in nutrients and helps flavor the meat.
Cornstarch- Allow the gravy of these roasted oven-baked turkey wings to become thick.
Onion- Use sweet onions to compliment the flavors of the green bell pepper
Green and red bell peppers- Enhances the taste of the baked turkey wings
How To Make Baked Turkey Wings?
First, gather all the necessary equipment. You will need a baking dish, aluminum foil, a meat thermometer, a small bowl, and a large roasting pan (if making a large batch).
Preheat your oven to the recommended temperature, usually around 400°F.
Next, prepare the turkey wings. Rinse the fresh turkey wings under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. This step is crucial to ensure the seasoning adheres well to the wings and helps achieve a crispy skin.
In a small bowl, mix together your desired seasoning blend. You can use a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, cayenne pepper, black pepper, bell peppers, butter, and kosher salt. Feel free to adjust the amounts of each spice to suit your taste preferences. Additionally, you can add some fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary for extra flavor.
Once you have seasoned the wings, please place them in a baking or casserole dish, spreading them out in a single layer along with bell peppers on top. This allows the wings to cook evenly and ensures they become crispy all over. If you are making a large batch, you may need to use a large roasting pan.
Add chicken stock to a bowl along with cornstarch and mix until dissolved. Next, add your turkey gravy mixture to the corner of the dish, making sure not to pour over your already-seasoned turkey wings. Place a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
Place your turkey wings into the oven for an hour, then take the aluminum foil off and place them back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Once the wings are done, remove them from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in tender and juicy turkey wings.
Variations of Baked Turkey Wings
– Instead of using a seasoning blend, you can opt for a dry rub made with your favorite spices and herbs. Creole seasoning or Cajun seasoning can add a flavorful kick to the wings.
– For a different twist, marinate the wings in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs before baking. This will infuse the meat with extra flavor.
-Add baby potatoes to the bottom of the pan to create an even more delicious piece of turkey skin.
– If you prefer a saucier option, toss the baked wings in your favorite barbecue sauce or honey mustard sauce before serving.
Substitutions for Baked Turkey Wings:
– If you don’t have turkey wings on hand, you can use chicken wings instead. The cooking times and temperature will remain the same.
– For a healthier option, you can remove the skin from the wings before seasoning and baking. This will result in a lighter dish while still maintaining the delicious flavor.
– You can use turkey legs instead of wings if you prefer dark meat. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as turkey legs may require a longer baking.
Now, let’s talk about storage. If you have any leftover baked turkey wings, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, place them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes until heated through. They can also be enjoyed cold as a tasty snack or added to salads or sandwiches.
Aluminum foil and a baking dish.
How to tuck in turkey wings for roasting?
Lift the turkey wings and tuck the turkey wing, or you can cut the branch off. It doesn’t have a ton of meat. It’s pretty much bones.
What time of year do you cook Turkey wings?
Honestly, Turkey wings aren’t just a during-the-holidays type of meal. They are for any time of the year. I will tell you that they are pretty tricky to find when I search for them in the store during the off-season (anything other than the holidays). You may have to call your local grocery stores to make baked turkey wings before going on a wild goose chase.
How To Choose Turkey Wings?
When shopping for turkey wings in the store, always remember to go for the unfrozen ones first. The reason for saying this is simply because they tend to be fresher. You can definitely choose to get frozen Turkey wings if that is all they have in stores. Another thing you want to ensure when choosing the meat for baked turkey wings is that there are no bruises on the skin of the turkey meat. You can tell by the skin appearing to be blue or reddish.
What time of year do you cook Turkey wings?
Baked turkey wings are a delicious meal that is often associated with special occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Mother’s Day. However, it’s important to note that turkey wings can be found in any major grocery store throughout the year. In fact, I recently found turkey wings at my local Food Lion. It’s worth mentioning that I had to ask the guy in the meat department if they had any, as I didn’t see them on display. To my surprise, he went to the back and returned with two packs of turkey wings. It shows that you can find turkey wings year-round, even when they are not readily visible.
How to cut turkey wings?
When you buy turkey wings out of the store, you will notice some come with a whole almost the entire turkey, which is a wing and leg. The first thing you want to do is cut the turkey wings/turkey meat at the joints.
Be careful because Turkey wings are a rough cut of meat. Once you separate them at the joint, you shouldn’t have two pieces of meat. You also don’t have to cut them; that is just fine.
Are Turkey wings healthy for you?
This is a question that I hear often. Turkey wings are unhealthy for you. They are very high in fat and protein. They have zero carbs. Having all of those things combined makes this a tremendous keto-friendly meal. The only thing you will need to do is remove the potatoes from this recipe. I can assure you that Turkey is among the healthiest choices of meat! You won’t go wrong with this one. From the taste to the nutritional gains.
Why are turkey wings so tough?
Turkey wings are generally rigid, but if you cook them correctly, they won’t be. Oven-baked turkey wings can become very tough if you overcook or undercook them. You can solve this problem quickly by using a meat thermometer. The correct inside temperature should be 165 degrees.
What can I pair these turkey wings with?
These turkey wings will go great with my asparagus or brussels sprouts. You can also pair these turkey wings with my white rice. Turkey wings are a recipe you can have all by themselves, but they taste much better when served with other sides.
In conclusion, baked turkey wings are a great alternative to a whole turkey, offering the same delicious flavors in a smaller portion. They can be easily seasoned and baked to perfection, resulting in tender, crispy wings everyone loves. Whether serving them as an appetizer, main course, or alongside your favorite side dishes like white rice, green beans, or bell peppers, these wings will surely be a hit. So try this easy and delicious turkey recipe during the holiday or any time of the year!
Check out more turkey recipes.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I ask you to tag me @ronalyntalston on Instagram. I would greatly appreciate it!
Baked Turkey Wings(Easy)
- Aluminum Foil
- 4 Turkey Wings
- 1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Baby Potatoes Optional
- 1 to 2 Brown Gravy Packet(McCormick Gravy Follow the back for separate instructions
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and cut your meat4 Turkey Wings
- Add your meat to a dish and drizzle olive oil over the meat1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Season your meat and rub the seasonings in thoroughly1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning, 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Add your chopped onions, butter, and bell peppers, potatoes(optional) over turkey wings.2 Tablespoon Butter, 1 Large Onion, 1 Large Green Bell Pepper, 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Baby Potatoes
- Add chicken stock and gravy packet to a bowl and mix well.2 Cup Chicken Broth, 1 to 2 Brown Gravy Packet(McCormick Gravy
- Next, add your turkey gravy to the corner of the dish, making sure not to pour over your already-seasoned turkey wings.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
- Place your turkey wings into the oven for an hour, then take the aluminum foil off and place them back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.