Oxtail Rasta pasta is definitely one meal I’m going to continue making for the rest of my life. Why? Because my taste buds say so. The oxtails and shrimp in this pasta make this pasta even more rich and flavorful! The texture is creamy with many mouth-watering herbs to complement it further. So, whether you’re in the mood for something classic or something a little more adventurous, my oxtail pasta dishes are the perfect way to spice up your dinner routine. So, let’s cook up some southern oxtail pasta, grab a fork, and get ready to indulge in a world of flavors and delightfulness. By the way, did I mention that this is a great recipe for busy weeknights? Okay, let’s cook!
What Is Oxtail Rasta Pasta?
Oxtail Rasta pasta is a pasta recipe that is tossed up in some delightful creamy sauce then the oxtails and shrimp is smothered into the velvety texture. You can use a mixture of meat in this creamy rasta pasta recipe if you would like. I personally used oxtails and shrimp. The ingredients are simple and involve things like garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, penne pasta, colorful bell peppers, beef broth, or chicken stock just to name a few ingredients.
Ingredients For Oxtail Rasta Pasta
- Fresh Oxtails- try getting medium-sized oxtails. These make the best jerk oxtail. Not too small because it will have less meat. You don’t want to get them so big it isn’t enough water to cover them. This also helps if you are watching calories.
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning– If you are serious about making your own Rasta pasta marinade and feel like you about of the Rastafarian culture you need this seasoning to cook on the stovetop! Can’t find anywhere else to use Amazon for a small delivery fee to get this oxtail seasoning.
- Butter– You are going to be melting butter down into a large pan.
- Penne Pasta- You can use any type of pasta you would like. Short pasta, rigatoni, and so forth. Make sure to use salted water when cook pasta.
- Bell Peppers- I used green peppers and yellow bell peppers. They really go well with the jerk spice mix. You can also use a Vidalia onion.
- Cloves Garlic – You can use minced garlic if you would like for this creamy pasta dish. Although, I would suggest freshly minced garlic.
- Heavy Cream- If you don’t have a substitute for coconut milk.
- Chicken Broth- Use low sodium or regular chicken.
- Parmesan Cheese- For this cooked pasta you will need about a cup of two.
- Lime Juice– Squeeze a drizzle over the pasta.
A list of ingredients and full instructions will be listed in the recipe card below.
How To Make Rasta Pasta
Okay, guys, I want you to just imagine the flavors of the ocean, blended perfectly with delicate pasta, and served to perfection. Not to mention adding in some Caribbean seasonings, chicken breasts, and a cup of pasta water to a large skillet on medium-high heat, and you’ve got a mouthwatering jerk chicken pasta dish that will transport you to the island of Jamaica. You definitely should try this Jamaican rasta pasta dish. One which is full of bold and spicy flavors that will leave you feeling like a true Rastafarian.
Here Are the Steps to This Pasta Dinner
Step 1: To a large bowl add in your cleaned and pat dry oxtails.
Step 2: Next, season your oxtails with the seasonings and add in chopped bell peppers. Mix well and allow to refrigerate overnight (place cover over bowl).
Step 3: To a medium-high skillet, melt your butter or use olive oil. Add in your oxtails without the bell peppers to begin browning on all sides for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 4: Add in beef broth and the remaining vegetables. Placed lid on and allow to simmer (low setting) for 2 hours. Check at the halfway mark.
Step 5: Once an hour has passed add, tomato sauce, stir, place the lid back on, and allow to simmer for the remainder of the time.
Step 1: Cook your pasta until Al dente. Drain the pasta. Sit to the side.
Step 2: To a skillet add butter and sauté your minced garlic and bell peppers.
Step 3: Once slightly softened add in your heavy cream and cheese. Mix well.
Step 4: Next, Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add your pasta back in and mix well.
Step 5: Serve with oxtails over the top.
- Heavy Cream- You can use half and half, coconut cream, or whole milk if you don’t have any heavy cream on hand.
- Shrimp Rasta Pasta- Use only shrimp and not chicken for this tasty rasta pasta!
- Vegetarian Version- Of course, we all know that you need to remove the meat just as in the vegan version. You can also add in more of the spice blend or a tablespoon jerk seasoning to spruce up your meal even more.
- Vegan Rasta Pasta- If you are not a meat eater. Then simply leave the meat out of this recipe.
- Salmon- Don’t want the shrimp and the chicken but still want seafood as the main ingredients. Try adding salmon.
- Chicken Rasta Pasta- talking about changing your life chicken is what you will have once you combine it with this pasta. One delicious meal! Also, try adding in some red wine.
- Large Bowl– You will need a large bowl with cold water to wash and clean your meat.
- Dutch oven- If you really want to make some delicious oxtails that make the perfect gravy for your pasta you will need a big enough pot to cook in.
You want to make sure that you are storing your southern oxtail Rasta pasta in an airtight container. So, it can be nice and fresh for next time.
What does oxtails taste like?
The taste of oxtails is a mixture of neck bones and short ribs. They have brown bits of seasoning at the bottom of the pan that caramelize in the stovetop version.
What veggies go with oxtails?
- Green Beans
- White Rice
Sides That Pair Well Without Pasta
- Hot Buttered Rice- is a great option and works well with this oxtail seafood type of meal.
- Jamaican oxtails and rice- If you don’t want all the pasta you can add rice to this authentic meal.
Did you enjoy this oxtail jerk recipe with pasta? Leave a comment. I would greatly appreciate it! 😊
The Ultimate Oxtail Rasta Pasta
- 4 to 6 Oxtails medium sized
- 1 Tsp Seasoning Salt
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoons Browning
- 1 Box Beef Stock
- 1 Piece Thyme Sprig
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1/2 1/2 Green bell pepper Chopped
- Red bell pepper Chopped
- 1/2 Stick Butter Melted
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- Penne Follow box instructions
- 1 Cup Mozzarella To your liking
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Bell Peppers Chopped
- 1/2 Red bell Pepper Chopped
- To a large bowl add in your cleaned and pat dry oxtails.4 to 6 Oxtails
- Next, season your oxtails with all of the seasonings and chopped vegetables. Mix well and allow to refrigerate over night(place cover over bowl)1 Tsp Seasoning Salt, 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper, 1 Tsp Garlic Powder, 1/2 Bell Peppers, 1/2 Red bell Pepper
- To a medium-high skillet, melt your butter or oil then add in your oxtails to begin browning on all sides for 2 to 3 minutes.1/2 Stick Butter
- Add in beef broth and the remaining vegetables from oxtails. Placed lid on and allow to simmer(low setting) for 2 hours. Check at the half way mark1 Box Beef Stock, 1 Piece Thyme Sprig, 1 Tsp Thyme
- Once an hour has passed add in brown sugar, browning, and ketchup, stir, and place the lid back on ,and allow to simmer for the remainder time.1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, 1 Tablespoons Browning, 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- Cook your paste until Al dentePenne
- Drain the pasta. Sit to the side.
- To a skillet add butter and sauté your minced garlic, and bell peppers.1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper, 1 Tablespoon Butter, 1 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- Once slightly softened add in your heavy cream and cheese. Mix well.2 Cups Heavy Cream, 1 Cup Mozzarella
- Next, Season to taste with salt and pepper.1 Tsp Seasoning Salt, 1/2 1/2 Green bell pepper, Red bell pepper
- Add your pasta back in and mix well.
- Serve with oxtails over the top.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!