In the warm southern states, seafood salads are a popular and refreshing dish enjoyed by many. One such salad is the Southern Seafood Salad, which combines the best flavors of the sea with fresh vegetables and a cream dressing. In this blog post you and I will explore this recipe for this delectable salad and I will provide tips on how to make this seafood pasta one major hit at your next gathering..
What Is A Southern Seafood Salad?
A southern seafood salad is a delightful combination of seafood, fresh veggies, and a creamy dressing. It can be served as a main dish or as a perfect side dish for any occasion. This salad is known for its great flavor and versatility, making it a favorite among seafood pasta lovers.
Ingredients For Southern Seafood Salad
- Seafood: This salad typically includes a variety of seafood such as shrimp, lobster tails, and scallops. The combination of different types of seafood adds a seafood taste that is delicious and out of this world.
- Fresh Vegetables: Purple onion, green onion, red bell pepper, and relish are used to enhance the flavor and add a vibrant touch to the salad. These fresh veggies not only provide great taste but also add a pop of color to the dish.
- Pasta: Cooked pasta shells or macaroni are added to the salad to make it more filling and satisfying. The pasta also helps to bind all the ingredients together, creating a delicious salad. You can mix the type of noodles that you use in this recipe such as penne, bowtie, or even ziti..
- Creamy Dressing: I made a creamy dressing with mayonnaise, dijon mustard, fresh lemon juice, and a blend of herbs and seasonings. It’s the perfect combination for this seafood salad. It adds a tangy and creamy taste to the dish, elevating its taste to a new leve.
- Eggs- The eggs bring an extraordinary amount of flavor to this Southern seafood salad. This step is completely optional but is highly recommended.
A full list of ingredients can be found in the recipe card below.
How to make a Southern seafood salad?
1. Start by cooking the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
2. Next, boil your eggs and chop them into bite-sized pieces and sit to the side.
3. Clean and pat dry your shrimp, scallops(separate scallops from mixture), and lobster tails. Next, chop the seafood into bite-sized pieces, season well, mix, and sit off to the side. I have a video here of how to cut lobster tails.
4. Preheat your skillet to high. Add in olive oil then scallops. Allow to sear for 2 minutes ensuring to start flipping after 1 minute has passed.
5. Once done add in your seasoned shrimp, lobster, and scallops. Begin searing until translucent then remove from stove.
6. To a mixing bowl add mayonnaise, dijon mustard, pickle relish, old bay, salt, pepper, chopped eggs, pickle relish, lemon squeezed, and sugar. Next, add in your vegetables. Mix all of those ingredients together well.
7. Next, add your shrimp, scallions, and lobster to the same bowl and stir gently. Lastly, add in your elbow noodles and gently mix well. Season to taste.
8. Once all the ingredients are well combined, cover the bowl with an airtight lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at leas an hour to allow the flavors to melt together.
9. Garnish with green onions and enjoy!!
Seafood Pasta Salad: Instead of using macaroni or pasta shells, you can make a seafood pasta salad by using different types of pasta such as penne or bowtie. To make this meal attractive to children. This variation adds a unique twist to the classic recipe.
Imitation Crab Salad: If you don’t have access to fresh lobster tails, or if you prefer a more budget friendly option, you can use imitation crab meat instead off the other seafood. I can assure you that It provides a similar taste and texture to the dish.
- Cooked Chicken- – If you’re not a fan of shrimp, you can substitute it with cooked chicken or even tofu for a vegetarian option. The key is to have a protein element in the salad.
- Relish- If you don’t have relish on hand, you can use dill instead.
- Seafood Pasta – If you aren’t a fan of the types of seafood that I used in this recipe you can use whatever type of seafood you like. Try using lump crab meat in place of the other seafood. You can also use crawfish if you would like just to make sure they are removed from the shell.
Equipment For South Seafood Salad
- Large bowl– A large bowl is needed to mix all the ingredients together.
- Skillet- You will need a skillet to cook the seafood pasta.
- Utensils- Multiple pieces of utensils is needed in order to create this Southern seafood recipe.
To ensure the freshness and longevity of your Southern seafood salad, it is important to store it properly. Here are some tips on how to store your salad:
Airtight Container– Transfer the salad to an airtight container before storing it in the refrigerator. This will help to keep the flavors intact and prevent any odors from your Southern seafood salad.
Refrigerate-Place the sealed container in the refrigerator and make sure it is stored at a temperature below 40°F (4°C). This will help to keep the seafood and other ingredients fresh and ready to eeat.
Consume and Enjoy- Within 2-3 days. It is recommended to consume the Southern seafood salad within 2-3 days of making it. This will ensure that the flavors are at their best and that the seafood remains fresh
Do Not Freeze- Seafood pasta, especially those with mayonnaise based dressings, do not freeze well. Freezing can cause the dressing to separate and the seafood to lose its texture. Therefore, it is best to avoid freezing the salad.
Refresh Before Serving- If you find that the salad has become slightly dry or the flavors have mellowed over time, you can refresh it before serving. Simply add a little more dressing or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to spruce things up a bit.
By following these storage tips, you can enjoy your Southern seafood salad for a few days and ensure that it remains delicious and safe to eat.
What To Pair With Southern Seafood Salad
Here are a few sides that will pair perfectly with my Southern seafood salad.
It is of utmost importance to ensure that you never leave this delectable seafood pasta exposed to high temperatures or in a hot area. This is primarily due to the presence of mayonnaise in the recipe, which has the potential to spoil under such conditions. Spoiled mayonnaise can pose health risks if consumed, thereby making it unhealthy for consumption. Therefore, it is crucial to exercise caution and store this seafood pasta in a cool and appropriate environment to maintain its freshness and safety By doing so, you can fully enjoy this delectable dish without any concerns for your wellbeing.
In conclusion folks, this Southern seafood salad is a versatile and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish. By using the freshest seafood, vibrant vegetables, and a creamy dressing, you can create a salad that is sure to impress. Don’t be afraid to experiment with this seafood pasta different variations and substitutions to suit your taste preferences. With proper storage, you can enjoy the flavors of the sea for days to come. So next time you’re at the grocery store, pick up some fresh seafood and give this Southern seafood salad recipe a try – it’s a real treat!
How To Make Southern Seafood Salad
- 1 Pound Shrimp
- 1/2 Pound Scallions
- 2 to 3 Mini Lobster Tails
- 1/2 Box Elbow more as needed
- 3 Boiled Eggs Chopped
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Pickled Relish
- Green Onion To your liking(Chopped) (Garnish)
- 1 Tablespoons Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoons Purple Onion Chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoons Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Tablespoons Old Bay
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoons Lemon Gently Squeezed
- Start by cooking the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.1/2 Box Elbow
- Next, boil your eggs and chop them into bite-sized pieces and sit to the side.3 Boiled Eggs
- Clean and pat dry your shrimp, scallops(separate scallops from mixture), and lobster tails. Next, chop the seafood into bite-sized pieces, season well, mix, and sit off to the side.1 Pound Shrimp, 1/2 Pound Scallions, 2 to 3 Mini Lobster Tails, 1 Tablespoons Old Bay, 1 Teaspoon Salt, 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Preheat your skillet to high. Add in olive oil then scallops. Allow to sear for 2 minutes ensuring to start flipping after 1 minute has passed.1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Once done add in your seasoned shrimp, lobster, and scallops. Begin searing until translucent then remove from stove.
- To a mixing bowl add mayonnaise, dijon mustard, pickle relish, old bay, salt, pepper, chopped eggs, pickle relish, lemon squeezed, and sugar. Next, add in your vegetables. Mix all of those ingredients together well.2 Cups Mayonnaise, 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard, 2 Tablespoons Pickled Relish, Green Onion, 1 Tablespoons Green Bell Pepper, 1/2 Tablespoons Purple Onion, 1/2 Tablespoons Red Bell Pepper, 2 Tablespoons Sugar, 1 Teaspoons Lemon
- Next, add your shrimp, scallions, and lobster to the same bowl and stir gently. Lastly, add in your elbow noodles and gently mix well. Season to taste.
- Once all the ingredients are well combined, cover the bowl with an airtight lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to melt together.
- Garnish with green onions and enjoy!!