Brown Sugar Short Ribs Stew is comfort food at its best. This Southern duo is sure to please your appetite! The tender beef ribs are fall-off-bone delicious. You will be licking the bottom of the pan. This is also an excellent recipe for those busy moms out there!
This One Pot brown sugar short ribs stew recipe is short ribs cooked down to red wine to form a tender consistency, then placed over a bed of fluffy rice. This is an insane combination that you will fall in love with. The entire family will call you the soul-food goddess. Lol
Beef Short Ribs-you can purchase beef short ribs from your local grocery store or butcher shop. This recipe definitely will become your go-to hearty beef stew.
White Potatoes- Try to use russet potatoes. They are better when it comes to stew. I place the white potatoes at the end of the recipe to ensure they don't become mushy.
Carrots- Baby carrots are fine, but if you don’t have those on hand, use regular carrots and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Onions- Adding sliced onions will bring a hint of boldness and flavor to your short rib recipe! I used purple onions and white onions.
Bay Leaves- Flavor enhancer: Bay leaves have a unique and pleasant flavor profile. They add a subtle, earthy, and slightly floral taste to your stew. They can enhance the overall depth and complexity of the dish, making it more enjoyable to your taste buds.
Brown Sugar- This will give your one-pot short rib stew recipe an excellent sweet flavor but not too sweet.
Red Wine- using red wine is optional but is highly recommended to add that rich flavor to your beef short ribs and make this the perfect Southern comfort meal. Also, using red wine adds a little extra warmth to beef recipes!
Beef Stock will help thicken the stew and tenderize the cut of beef that you choose to use.
Olive Oil/Butter- I used olive oil and butter to give me those brown bits at the bottom of the pan in my short ribs recipe.
Mushrooms- Again, in this cooking process, the mushrooms in this recipe are optional and can be taken away if you are allergic.
Seasonings- poultry preparations include garlic powder, season, salt, fresh thyme, and pepper. You can choose to add in your favorite types of seasoning.
Worcestershire Sauce- Add this sauce to your one-pot short rib stew to balance out the whole thing.
Tomato Paste- helps to create a thick and flavorful stew.
1. Rub the brown sugar all over your short ribs.
2. Add butter to a large skillet of medium heat. Once melted, add in your seasoned beef ribs. Allow to sear until all sides are browned. Use tongs to turn meat on all sides.
3. To the same large Dutch oven pot, add beef broth, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, onions, carrots, and seasonings. Use a slotted spoon and mix things around. Bring to a slow boil.
4. Cover and place in the oven for 2 hours after time is done. Carefully remove from the oven, add your chopped potatoes, and place back in the oven for 45 minutes or until the beef is tender.
Enjoy with a scoop of mashed potatoes or white rice.
Spicy- If you like a one-pot meal, spice this short rib stew by adding hot sauce and Cajun seasoning!
Cornbread and Beef Ribs- add a side of my honey cornbread. This is made quickly, so by the time the one-pot short rib stew is done, your cornbread will be done as well.
Beef Ribs- What you will love about this one-pot short rib stew is that you can use other types of ribs, such as pork ribs or chunky beef stew. The rule I’ve created is as long as the meat can be separated from the bone. You are good to go.
Sides That Pair Well With Brown Sugar Beef Rib Stew
1. Grilled Corn on the Cob: Brush the corn with butter, sprinkle some salt and pepper, and grill until it's nicely charred. It's a classic and flavorful side dish that pairs well with beef ribs.
2. Loaded Baked Potatoes: Bake some potatoes until they're tender, then slice them open and fill them with toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon bits, and chives. It's a hearty and tasty choice!
3. Coleslaw: A fresh and crunchy coleslaw can contrast the rich flavors of beef ribs. You can make a classic cabbage-based coleslaw or try variations like apple or Asian slaw.
4. White Rice- Add this Southern comfort goodness over a bed of white rice! This ultimate side pairs exceptionally well with these brown sugar beef ribs.
5. Mac and Cheese: Who doesn't love a comforting bowl of mac and cheese? Prepare it with a delicious cheese sauce, bake it until golden and bubbly, and serve it as a delightful side dish.
6. Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes infused with roasted garlic are always crowd-pleasers. They pair exceptionally well with the rich flavors of beef ribs.
7. Grilled Asparagus: Season some asparagus spears with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and grill them until they're nicely charred and tender. It's a simple and elegant side dish that complements beef ribs nicely.
This one-pot short rib stew is the ultimate Southern comfort foods. The aroma will fill your kitchen with the pure bliss of heaven. This one-pot short rib stew can be enjoyed alongside my garlic mashed potatoes or white rice. Let’s not forget a delicious side of honey cornbread.
Last Updated on September 1, 2023 by Ronalyn Alston | Published: August 24, 2023
August 24, 2023