Waffle House patty melt. If you're a fan of comfort food, then you've probably heard of the famous Waffle House patty melt. This classic dish combines the flavors of a hamburger and a grilled cheese sandwich, resulting in a delicious and hearty meal. I am going to show you how to make some insanely delicious, Waffle House patty melts. We are going to be exploring what they are, the ingredients needed, how to make them, and even some variations and substitutions you can try.. Let's jump right in folks!
A patty melt is a sandwich that typically consists of a beef patty,, melted cheese, sautéed onions, and bread. What sets a patty melt apart from a regular burger is the use of grilled bread instead of a traditional bun. This creates a unique combination of flavors and textures that is sure to satisfy your cravings. Patty melts can be made in a variety of ways
•Ground beef: You'll need around ¼ to ⅓ pound of ground beef per patty melt.
•Sliced cheese: Waffle House usually uses American cheese, but you can experiment with your favorite cheese, such as cheddar cheese eor Swiss cheese.
•Sliced onions: The sautéed onions are a crucial component of the Waffle House patty melt, adding a sweet and savory flavor. You can use white or yellow onions..
•Bread: Thick bread and Texas bread are traditionally used for patty melts, but you can also use other pieces of bread like sourdough or whole wheat toast.
•Butter: I used about 4 tablespoons of butter to grill the sandwich bread and add richness to that Texas toast. You don’t have to use butter to grill your bread slices, but it’s definitely recommended.
•Kosher salt, garlic powder, and black pepper: I used simple seasonings for this meat patty because the caramelized onions are where all of the flavors lie. You can add other ingredients to bring in that flavor. Such as seasoning salt and more.
•Bacon- The bacn in this waffle house patty melt recipe is optional I use bacon on my burger. I guess you can then call it a Texas bacon patty melt. The bacon is also a plus when eating this juicy burger with that cheddar cheese. It’s definitely the excellent choice for the perfect patty melt sandwich!
•Worcestershire sauce/- This adds irresistible flavor to your beef patties. It makes a major difference when adding the burger patty to the slices of b,read.
1. Begin by preheating a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Season the ground beef with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Drizzle in Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Next, shape it into a patty.
2. Cook the patty on the preheated skillet or blackstone griddle until it reaches your desired level of doneness. This usually takes around 4-5 minutes per side for medium.
3. While the patty is cooking, melt some butter in another skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sliced onions to the skillet and sauté them until they become soft and caramelized approximately 10-15 minutes.
4. Once the patty is cooked, transfer it to a plate and wipe the skillet clean. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
5. Place one slice of bread, buttered side down, on the skillet and top it with the cooked patty and bacon. Add a slice of cheese on top of the patty and then spoon some sautéed onions on top of the cheese.
6. Place the second slice of bread on top, buttered side up.
7. Cook the sandwich for a few minutes on each side until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
8. Remove the patty melt from the skillet and let it cool for a minute before slicing it in half..
9. Serve your Waffle House patty melt with your favorite condiments, such as ketchup or mustard.
To make this patty melt waffle house sandwich you will only need the bare minimum equipment. Just grab a handy cast iron skillet and a few pieces of cooking utensils. That’s it. Now get to cooking.
If you want to ensure next-day freshness simply add this meal to a patty melt to an airtight container.
980 calories are in 1 patty melt. When add things such as bacon and French fries you are looking at adding about 500 more calories.
BBQ sauce is a great option to add as a sauce or a dipping sauce. Other sauces such as a creamy pepper sauce like Sonic has on their patty melt. You can find it all at your local grocery store.
Any cheese that you like can be added to your burger Patty.
Last Updated on August 9, 2023 by Ronalyn Alston | Published: July 4, 2023
July 4, 2023