Southern baked beans. This baked bean recipe has ingredients like honey, brown sugar, and a touch of mustard. I can promise you that your taste buds will be jumping for joy when you eat these beans. I love to pair these beans with some delicious white rice! Leftovers will be nonexistent!
What are the ingredients for these Southern Baked Beans?
The ingredients for these homemade baked beans are yet again easy to find in the grocery store. They are simple ingredients and there shouldn’t be any running around trying to find these ingredients. The ingredients are as follows.
When making this recipe I didn’t use any other type of beans but Bush Baked Beans. I do know that you can use other beans such as navy beans. I decided to use these beans since they come already cooked. You only need to warm the beans.
Lil Smokies Sausages
These sausages are smoked so it gives the beans that delicious smoked taste!
You don’t want to buy the thin bacon. The thin bacon isn’t as enjoyable as the thick bacon.
The brown sugar gives this recipe a hint of sweetness. You can purchase any brand of brown sugar for this recipe.
Adding a sprinkle of white sugar will complement the brown sugar and give the beans a somewhat sweet taste.
Adding the onion will give these beans a sweet and savory taste. So, it’s safe to say onions definitely heighten the sweetness in this baked beans recipe.
Mustard gives the beans a tangy flavor which works together well with all the sweetness in this recipe.
I used honey as a sweetener in this recipe. You can also replace the honey with molasses if you would like.
Ketchup in any recipe adds a ton of flavor making this recipe the ultimate baked beans
How to make Southern Baked Beans?
Southern baked beans are super easy to make. Everything literally can be placed into one pot. I love using a Dutch oven pot for these baked beans recipes. The first step in this recipe is to preheat your oven. Next, begin to chop your onion into small pieces. Now, place your pot on the stove. Turn your stove to medium-high and begin frying your bacon.
Once the bacon is fried take the bacon out and place to the side. In the same pot add in your onions and allow to cook until the onions begin to brown. Adding the bacon and onions together isn’t ideal because onions will caramelize quickly and the bacon will still need to be cooked. Next, add in your Lit’l smokies and allow them to cook until they become slightly brown in some areas. The next thing you will want to do is turn the heat off the stove. Now, add your beans, chopped bacon, brown sugar, honey, ketchup, mustard, and sugar to the same pot. Lastly, add the pot into your preheated oven. Remove the pot from the oven and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this Southern Baked Beans recipe, then you will love my buttermilk fried chicken recipe! Also, if you gave this recipe a try please tag me on Instagram @ronalyntalston.
- Truffle Honey Chicken (Easy Cheesecake Factory Copycat)
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks (Easy One Pan Meal)
- Starbucks For Life Is Here (Free Starbucks Forever)
- How To Make Maca Coffee(Iced)
- Christmas Cookie Ice Cream..What You Need To Know
Southern Baked Beans(quick and easy)
- 2 Cans Baked Beans Bush Baked Beans
- 1 Lil Smokies Sausages or sausage links
- 4 Strips of Bacon
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon White Sugar
- ½ Sweet Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- ½ Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Chop your onion into small pieces½ Sweet Onion
- Place your pot on the stove. Turn your stove to medium-high and begin frying your bacon. Once the bacon is fried take the bacon out and place to the side.4 Strips of Bacon
- In the same pot add in your onions and allow to cook until the onions begin to brown.½ Sweet Onion
- To the same pot add in your Lit’l smokies and allow them to cook until they become slightly brown1 Lil Smokies Sausages
- Add your beans to the same pot2 Cans Baked Beans
- After they are done make sure turn the heat is off the stove.
- Add your beans, chopped bacon, brown sugar, honey, ketchup, mustard, and sugar to the same pot and stir until the yellow mustard is dissolved4 Strips of Bacon, ½ Cup Brown Sugar, 1 Teaspoon White Sugar, 1 Tablespoon Mustard, ½ Cup Honey, 1 Cup Ketchup
- Add your pot into your preheated oven for 40 minutes
- Remove the pot from the oven and enjoy!