Southern tuna salad is the perfect easy recipe that you will definitely need! It’s filled with simple pantry ingredients like tuna, sweet relish, and fresh celery, just to name a few. This classic southern tuna salad recipe is the perfect recipe for those busy weeknights we all have. Let’s jump right into this southern-style tuna salad recipe!
Why You Should Make This Southern Tuna Salad?
- Easy- The best tuna salad recipe has to be easy. At least I think so. 😏This one is definitely that. The whole recipe ingredients are pretty easy to find. You may already have a few, like black pepper, fresh celery, cans of tuna, and a little Mayo lying around.
- Perfect For Meal Preparation- If you are on a health journey and looking for some incredibly easy recipes, this tuna egg salad makes a great lunch idea to have in your lunch rotation. The simple ingredients are a plus.
- Family Friendly- we all have different ways of eating things. This traditional tuna salad recipe has a variety of ways you can make it so everyone in the family can put in or take away from simple tuna salad recipe.
- Make Ahead- make this recipe a day or two before enjoying. The next day simply add your sides such as a ripe tomato, a bed of lettuce, or potato chips.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Tuna- I used albacore tuna to make this recipe, but you are welcome to use any type of tuna you like, such as light tuna.
- Purple/Red Onion- this will help add in a ton of extra flavor to your Southern tuna salad. Try to stick with this type of onion for the flavor alone.
- Mayonnaise-a little Mayo goes a long way.
- Lemon juice- this is the secrets ingredient that will help with the tuna fishy taste.
- Honey Mustard- another secret ingredient that’s adds a special touch of richness to this classic dish.
- Seasonings- salt, garlic powder, and pepper to taste.
- Dill Relish- use dill relish to bring that sweet taste to this Southern tuna salad.
How To Make Southern Tuna Salad?
- In a large mixing bowl, mix tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and honey mustard. Onion and celery in the bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve your Southern Tuna Saladon on bread, lettuce, in a wrap, or on a salad, or as desired.
- Customize by adding pickles and bell peppers to this black folks’ tuna salad if desired. Enjoy!
- Chicken– instead of using for this black folks tuna salad tuna, you can opt-out and use can chicken or canned salmon for this tuna salad recipe.
- Lettuce Wrap- if you are looking for away to get in your greens pair this go-to tuna salad recipe with lettuce with a chopped apple on the side.
- Tuna Macaroni Salad- add some elbow macaroni noodles and old bay seasoning to make the perfect tuna macaroni salad.
- Southern tuna salad sandwich- here is the fun part that I love about this Southern tuna salad recipe.
- Open Face Tuna- add some of the tuna mixture on top of a bagel or slice of bread with melted cheese.
1. Mixing Bowl: For this black folks tuna salad think of a mixing bowl as the central hub of your tuna salad creation. It’s where you’ll combine all the ingredients together. Picture a bulletin board labeled “Mixing Bowl” where you can pin all the necessary items.
2. Can Opener: Just like a bulletin board labeled “Can Opener” allows you to attach reminders, a can opener is essential for opening the can of tuna. Make sure to have one handy to easily access the tuna.
3. Cutting Board: Imagine a bulletin board called “Cutting Board” where you can pin all your veggies and herbs. A cutting board is necessary for chopping celery, onions, pickles, and any other ingredients you’d like to add for extra flavor and crunch.
4. Knife: Just like a bulletin board labeled “Knife” can hold different notes, a sharp knife is essential for slicing and dicing your ingredients. Use it to chop the veggies and herbs into small, uniform pieces.
5. Mixing Spoon: Picture a bulletin board named “Mixing Spoon,” where you can pin a variety of spoons. A mixing spoon is useful for combining all the ingredients in the mixing bowl. It ensures everything is evenly distributed and well-mixed.
6. Measuring Cups and Spoons: Just like a bulletin board labeled “Measuring Cups and Spoons” can hold different notes, these tools are handy for measuring precise amounts of mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, or any other dressing ingredients you’d like to add.
1. Refrigerator: Use a labeled bulletin board to visualize storing leftovers in airtight containers or covered bowls in the fridge. Label with the date.
2. Freezer: Visualize a bulletin board for freezing. Store tuna salad in freezer-safe containers or bags, tightly sealed and labeled with the date. Texture may change when thawed.
3. Pantry/Cupboard: Picture a labeled bulletin board for room temperature-stable tuna salad with dry ingredients. Store in airtight containers or jars in a cool, dry place. Consider ingredient shelf life.
Common Questions For Southern Tuna Salad
What can I mix with tuna to make it taste better?
To enhance the flavor of tuna, you can mix it with various ingredients. Some delicious options include honey mustard for creaminess, lemon juice, and olive oil for a refreshing twist, diced pickles and onions for crunch and zest, avocado and lime for creaminess.
This black folks tuna salad is extremely versatile and can be made within a matter of minutes. You can enjoy this recipe with a side of hard-boiled eggs. The protein in this Southern tuna salad is also a plus. It’s definitely a filling comfort food classic. Well, until next time folks.
Southern Tuna Salad(Quick and Easy)
- 3 Cans Tuna Drained(albacore)
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion Diced
- 1 Celery finely chopped
- 1/4 Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoon Honey mustard
- Sweet Relish
- Salt and pepper To taste
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- In a large mixing bowl, mix tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey mustard, onion, and celery in the bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.3 Cans Tuna, 1/2 Cup Red Onion, 1 Celery, 1/4 Mayonnaise, 1 Teaspoon Lemon juice, 2 Teaspoon Honey mustard, Sweet Relish, Salt and pepper, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Serving options are toasted bread, eggs, lettuce, in a wrap, or on a salad, or as desired.