These turkey chops are super delicious and easy to make. No more boring dinners. These Southern smothered turkey breast chops are seasoned generously, then tossed into a pool of sizzling hot oil and given a good old-fashioned gravy bath. These tender turkey chops are one recipe that you whole family will love, and you will make repeatedly.
What are Turkey chops?
Turkey chop is a cut of meat that is created from cutting a piece of the meat from the breast portion of the turkey. They usually weigh about 4 to 6 ounces. They look like pork chops but are considered to be a lot healthier. Turkey chops are a lean cut of protein and are ultimately lower in fat and calories.
These fried and crispy skin turkey chops are the perfect combinations to enjoy with my white rice and smothered gravy recipe. This recipe is popular this time of year and pretty much any time of year. It’s easy to duplicate.
Ingredients for turkey chops
The ingredients for these turkey chops are kept at a bare minimum simply because they already have good flavoring to them. The meat isn’t tough are dry at all. In this case, I would say light seasonings are better.
Turkey Breast Cutlets- another name is turkey cutlets or even turkey breast chops. Either way, both are pretty much the same cut of meat but named differently.
Seasonings- I used a mixture of seasonings(black pepper, garlic powder, in this recipe but made sure not to over-season. They are thin, so the seasoning on this recipe isn’t much needed. The main thing you need to do is make sure you season your gravy correctly.
Butter- the butter in this recipe is used to make the turkey gravy nice and savory. You can use salted or unsalted butter.
Onions- bring a ridiculous amount of flavor to your dish. I slightly caramelized my onions.
Chicken broth- used to make the gravy. You can use water instead, but you would have to make sure you season the water a lot more.
Purpose Flour- We use flour in this recipe to thicken up the delicious gravy to make these smothered Turkey chops.
Vegetable Oil– You will need to use oil to fry your boneless slices of turkey breast.
A full list of ingredients and instructions can be found below
How To Cook Turkey Chops
Smothered Turkey chops are super easy to cook, as I mentioned above. The hardest part about this recipe is not eating the entire pot. I promise that you will be licking your fingers after. So, here are the steps
Fresh Herbs- Try adding a mixture of herbs like fresh rosemary if you want to give your turkey chops more flavor.
Garlic Parmesan Turkey Cutlets– You can put your spin on these tender turkey chops and add some garlic and Parmesan to the gravy!
White Wine- If you don’t like dull, then you can add a splash of white wine to the gravy.
Chicken Cutlets- You can switch things up and add in different meats such as chicken breasts, lamb chop, ground turkey, or even cut up a whole turkey.
Don’t stop whisking the gravy on these juicy turkey cutlets until you have reached the desired consistency.
Try not to over-season the cutlets. They do good with locking in flavor all by themselves.
When it comes down to storing these smothered Turkey chops, airtight containers are going to be your best friend. You can also use ziplock bags. They will do the trick as well. Store them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Remove from the airtight container. Then heat them in the oven for 1 minute or longer if necessary.
Is turkey chops the same as Turkey cutlets?
The short answer to this question is yes.
What cut of meat is turkey chops?
Again, turkey chops come from the breast. You have other parts as well. Such as the turkey leg, turkey thighs, and the entire turkey.
Where can I buy
Cutlets can be simple to find, or they can be difficult. It really depends on the area. You want to look for turkey chops, turkey chop cutlets, or turkey breast chops. They are all pretty much the same. You can find them at Walmart or Publix. If you cannot find them there, you can either check your local meat market or order them offline at a butcher shop.
What to do with turkey chops?
You will want to add them to a bed of rice. You will enjoy them that way, or you could add them to a side of green beans.
How long to cook
Cutlets are extremely thin, so you want to make sure you are not cooking them for long. In this recipe, we are going to smother them, so there isn’t a major need to cook them all through. Cooked thoroughly would be 4 to 5 minutes on each side. This is at a medium temperature.
These smothered turkey chops are a mouth full of flavor that you don’t want to miss out on. Especially if you are having a special occasion. These are perfect. Well, Until next time.
More Turkey Recipes
Easy Turkey Chops Smothered in Gravy
- 4 Turkey Chops
- 1/2 Tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 Tsp Poultry seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Onion powder
- 1 Cup Vegetable oil
- 1 Cup Flour all purpose
- 2 Tbsp Butter salted
- 1/2 Onion Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Flour all purposed
- 2 Cups Chicken stock
- Garlic Powder to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Place pot on the stove then turn to medium-high then add in oil.1 Cup Vegetable oil
- To a bowl turkey chops4 Turkey Chops
- Season the turkey chops making sure to rub in all of the seasonings well.1/2 Tsp Ground black pepper, 1 Tsp Poultry seasoning, 1 Tsp Garlic powder, 1 Tsp Onion powder, 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Add flour to the bowl and coat your turkey chops well. At this point, you can season your flour with the same seasonings to your liking,1 Cup Flour, Garlic Powder, Pepper
- Place chops in hot grease and allow to fry for 4 minutes, flip the chops to the other side, and allow to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Once done take them out and place them on a cooling rack.
- Carefully, pour the grease out of the pan and place the pan back onto the stove.
- Add your butter, once melted add in your onions. Stir and let them cook down until they are slightly browned.2 Tbsp Butter, 1/2 Onion
- Next, turn your stove to a low temperature. Grab a whisk and begin whisking in your flour. Continue whisking until the flour is dissolved into the onions.1 Tbsp Flour
- Whisk in your chicken broth(continue to whisk until your gravy becomes slightly thick. If it gets too thick whisk in about 1 tablespoon more chicken broth.2 Cups Chicken stock
- Add back in your fried chops, take your spoon and pour some of the gravy over the meat. Add on your lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.