The KFC Spicy Chicken recipe is a copycat KFC recipe with a spicy chicken sauce and tender cooked chicken that has a flavorful kick to it! The spice level is guaranteed to make these spicy chicken tenders one of your personal favorites! Spicy Southern fried chicken, your taste buds will be thrilled. These spicy chicken tenders will definitely have you licking your fingers. Let’s dive right into this KFC Spicy Chicken recipe!
Why You Will Love KFC Spicy Chicken Recipe
1. Easy to Make: This spicy tenders recipe is straightforward to make, especially if it’s your first time trying this KFC copycat recipe. It tastes just like spicy southern fried chicken as well!
2. Original Recipe: This recipe provides step-by-step instructions on how to make the best spicy chicken tenders, so there’s no need to visit any spicy chicken restaurants!
3. Family-Friendly: Although the original recipe for this delicious spicy chicken has a lot of spice, the good news is that you can adjust the seasonings to reduce the heat. Add a little bit of Tabasco sauce for a mild kick or a lot for a spicier result!
Ingredients for KFC Spicy Chicken Recipe
– Chicken Tenders: This recipe can use chicken tenders or chicken breast. I personally recommend using chicken thighs because they are incredibly juicy!
– Buttermilk: This will be the marinade for the recipe. The buttermilk mixture ensures that all the flavors penetrate the chicken pieces.
– Hot Oil: This is a crucial ingredient for this recipe. You can use any oil you prefer.
– Pickle Juice: The pickle juice acts as a tenderizer for the chicken and adds a hint of flavor. It complements the rest of the seasonings perfectly.
– Seasonings: Chili powder, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
How to Make KFC Spicy Chicken Recipe
1. In a bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, hot sauce, and pickle juice until well blended. Poke a hole in each chicken tender, then add them to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
2. Prepare the flour mixture by combining flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
4. Remove the chicken from the fridge and coat each tender with the flour mixture. Make sure all the chicken pieces are evenly coated. Place them on a wire rack and let them sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Heat 3 cups of oil in a deep fryer or large skillet until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Carefully add the chicken to the hot oil and cook until golden brown or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Allow to rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
Spicy Sauce/Dipping Sauce
Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat to make the spicy sauce. Add honey, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and brown sugar. Stir until the mixture becomes hot, and drizzle it over your regular fried chicken. Serve on white bread, and enjoy!
– Oils: You can use any oil you prefer, such as vegetable oil, peanut oil, or canola oil. It’s all up to your personal preference.
– Chicken Thighs: If you’re not a fan of chicken thighs, don’t worry. You can use chicken breasts or tenders instead.
– Flour: You can use bread flour as a substitute for all-purpose flour, or you can try other types of flour based on your preference.
– Seasonings: If you’re not a fan of the seasonings used in this KFC Spicy Chicken recipe, feel free to use your own preferred seasonings. Just be mindful not to make it too salty, as the dipping sauce already has a sweet and salty flavor.
– Deep Fryer: A deep fryer will be helpful in ensuring that you achieve the perfect results for this KFC copycat recipe.
– Tongs: When deep frying, use tongs to handle the chicken to avoid burning yourself.
– Paper Towels: It’s essential to use paper towels to absorb any excess oil from the spicy fried chicken.
How To Store
To store this KFC spicy chicken recipe you will need to place in an airtight container to make sure the air from the refrigerator doesn’t ruin the presentation of things.
How To Reheat KFC Spicy Chicken Recipe
Reheating KFC Spicy Chicken can be done easily while keeping the flavors and crispiness intact. Here’s a simple method you can try:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Take the leftover KFC Spicy Chicken out of the refrigerator and let it sit at the room
- temperature for about 10-15 minutes.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and arrange the chicken pieces on top, ensuring they are evenly spaced.
- Cover the chicken loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive drying.
- Place the baking sheet with the chicken in the preheated oven and let it reheat for about 15-20 minutes.
- After the initial reheating time, remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the chicken becomes crispy again.
- Once done, please remove the spicy Southern fried chicken from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
This method will help maintain the original flavors and texture of the spicy southern fried chicken/ KFC Spicy Chicken while ensuring it is thoroughly reheated. Enjoy your meal!
Sides to Enjoy with KFC Spicy Chicken:
– Potato Salad: Potato salad’s different textures and flavors pair well with the hot chicken.
– Mac and Cheese: A classic side dish that complements the spicy chicken perfectly.
– Mashed Potatoes: Add some garlic mashed potatoes with gravy for a comforting and satisfying meal.
– White Rice: A simple and versatile side that pairs nicely with the KFC Spicy Chicken.
– White Bread: My top recommendation is to serve the spicy chicken on white bread. It works well as a delicious sandwich, especially when combined with pickles.
– French Fries: The crispy texture of French fries complements the spicy chicken.
– Sweet Potato Fries: The sweetness of sweet potato fries pairs wonderfully with the crunchy hot chicken, creating the ultimate
In conclusion, this spicy Southern fried chicken is a delightful and mouthwatering dish that brings the authentic taste of KFC chicken right into your own kitchen. Whether you prefer making a single piece of chicken or a whole chicken, this recipe captures the essence of the real thing.
The secret lies in the perfectly seasoned flour, inspired by the iconic KFC spice blend Colonel Sanders created. To achieve that crispy and golden brown skin, a Dutch oven is the perfect tool to use. Remember to place the chicken skin side down for a perfectly cooked result. A meat thermometer ensures the chicken is perfectly cooked, ensuring both safety and flavor. Once done, let the chicken rest on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice adds a zesty twist to the dish for an extra burst of flavor. If you want to try this recipe, please check the affiliate links for the necessary ingredients and tools. Enjoy the finger-licking goodness of KFC spicy chicken right at home!
KFC Spicy Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Pickle Juice
- 1 Egg
- 4to 6 Chicken Tenders
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3 Cups Vegetable oil enough for frying
Hot Honey Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 Brown Sugar
- Grab a bowl and pour in your buttermilk, egg, hot sauce, and pickle juice. Give it a good whisk until all the ingredients are well blended.1 cup Buttermilk, 2 tablespoons Hot Sauce, 1/2 Cup Pickle Juice, 1 Egg
- Take your chicken and gently place it into the buttermilk mixture, making sure each piece is coated nicely.4to 6 Chicken Tenders
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to create a flavorful flour mixture.2 Cups All Purpose Flour, 1 Teaspoon Salt, 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper, 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder, 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Take the chicken out of the buttermilk mixture and coat each piece in the flour mixture. Make sure every part of the chicken is nicely coated in flour. You can place the coated chicken on a wire rack or a dish for about 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the coating to adhere.
- If you have a deep fryer, heat it up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If not, you can use a large skillet and fill it with enough oil to fry the chicken.
- Carefully add the coated chicken into the fryer or skillet and let it cook until it turns a beautiful golden brown color. You can also check the internal temperature of the chicken using a meat thermometer, making sure it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure it’s fully cooked.3 Cups Vegetable oil
- Once the chicken is cooked to perfection, take it out of the fryer or skillet and let it rest for a few minutes.
Spicy Sauce/ Dipping Sauce
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and combine butter, honey, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and brown sugar in it. Stir the mixture until it becomes hot and well blended. Once ready, drizzle this delectable sauce over your regular fried chicken. For a delightful serving, place the saucy fried chicken on white bread. Indulge in this delicious combination and relish the flavors!1/2 Cup Butter, 2 Tablespoons Honey, 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika, 2 Brown Sugar