This cast-iron Mac & cheese is the perfect recipe to place on the table for this Thanksgiving holiday. It’s so creamy and not to mention how quick and easy this skillet Mac and cheese will be! We start this baked Mac and cheese recipe off by making a nice and creamy cheese sauce. Well, enough of my babbling. Let’s create this recipe!
What type of cheese to use in this creamy Mac and cheese?
My grandmother had some of the best southern mac and cheese and this is how you make it. For this Mac and cheese recipe, you can choose to use whatever cheese you like but I prefer to use sharp shredded cheese, Gouda cheese, and Asiago cheese. When you combine all these cheeses together you will have one of the best macaroni and cheese.
What type of noodles do I use in this macaroni and cheese recipe?
For my Mac and cheese recipe, I used elbows noodles. I would say that it is ok to use other noodles, but I have personally never tried to do so. I have seen people do spaghetti noodles in their Mac and cheese as well as rigatoni noodles but again I have never done so.
How to make Mac and cheese?
To make baked Mac and cheese you will first need to start off with a nice and creamy cheese sauce base. To do that you will first need to gather all your ingredients and place them to the side so this can be a smooth baking experience. Now, we will start off by cooking the noodles. We are going to add chicken broth to a deep pan, butter, olive oil, and salt. Once the water begins to boil, we will add in our noodles and cook until al dente.
Next, grab your saucepan and place it on the stove then turn to medium-high. Once you have done so add in your butter along with your heavy whipping, buttermilk, flour and, seasonings (paprika, garlic powder, pepper, creole seasoning,). Once you have all al of these ingredients begin to stir until the creamy sauce begins to boil. When it begins to get hot. Remove the Mac and cheese mixture from the stove. Next, we will begin to add in our 3 different shredded kinds of cheese and stir the mixture. Lastly, add in your eggs and mix the creamy cheese sauce until eggs are dissolved. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and enjoy.
If you liked this recipe, you should try pairing it with my bbq beef ribs.
Well, until next time folks.
How To Make Cast Iron Mac and Cheese
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Whole milk
- 1 lb Elbow noodles
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Stick Butter
- 2 Cups Sharp Shredded Cheese As much cheese as you like
- 1/2 Cup Gouda Cheese As much cheese as you like
- 1/2 Cup Asiago Cheese As much cheese as you like
- 1/4 Cup Sour cream
- 1 Large Egg
- 32 Oz Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp Salt Half for noodle water
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper To your liking
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a deep pot on medium-high add in your chicken stock
- Once the chicken stock begins to boil add in your elbow noodles, olive oil, and 1/2 Tbsp salt. Cook noodles until al dente
- Begin to grate your cheese and set it to the side in a bowl
- In a saucepan over medium heat add in your butter and allow the butter to melt
- Once the butter has melted gently stir in the flour and continue to stir until the flour dissolves
- Add in your heavy cream slowly and stir/whip until the mixture becomes smooth
- Finish adding in your whole milk and continue to whisp
- Add in your seasonings(paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper)
- Add in half of your cheese you sat to the side in the bowl and stir into the sauce for about 20 seconds then remove from the stove
- Add in your egg and sour cream then mix until dissolved
- In a cast-iron pot add in your cooked noodles. Try not to overfill the pan
- Next, pour in your cheese sauce mixture and begin to stir
- Add the remaining cheese into the cast iron potMake sure to cover all of the noodles with cheese
- Place in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the top of the mac and cheese is slightly browned