Sweet potato pancakes...Imagine waking up on a crisp fall morning, the aroma of warm spices filling the air as you go to the kitchen. The anticipation grows as you gather the ingredients for a delectable breakfast that will undoubtedly make you smile. Today, you and I will explore my delicious pancakes and discover the wonders of my southern sweet potato pancakes, a delightful twist on a classic breakfast favorite. Let's make this recipe that the whole family will enjoy!
Large sweet potato or medium sweet potatoes: The star ingredient of these pancakes provides a vibrant orange color and natural sweetness. Sweet potato flesh: The soft, cooked sweet potato flesh adds moisture and richness to the pancake batter.
All-Purpose Flour- Is need to make sure that you are able to combine all of the necessary ingredients.
Buttermilk-Using buttermilk will give you the fluffiest/tastiest pancakes, southern sweet potato pancakes!
Eggs-they also help with binding all of the necessary ingredients.
The full recipe can be found below.
To make these pancakes is so simple and so rewarding. I could literally eat these pancakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are just that good to me. So, enough of my rambling. Let’s get started with these step-by-step instructions on how to make these delicious pancakes.
Start by boiling or baking your sweet potatoes. Take them out once the sweet potatoes become soft enough for a fork to go through.
Allow to cool and remove the skin
Mash the sweet potatoes in a bowl, or place them in a food processor. To get rid of the strings, use a mixer.
Add in your wet ingredients and dry ingredients. Eggs, pure vanilla extract, buttermilk, cinnamon, self-rising flour, and sugar begin to wisp all the ingredients together.
Turn your stove on med-high or your griddle. Once you have a somewhat pancake-like consistency, spray your pan with the nonstick spray or melt butter on the skillet. Add ½ cup to pan or griddle Cook on one side until golden brown(about 3 to 5 minutes), then repeat on the next side.
Serve your southern sweet potato pancakes with a drizzle of maple syrup or cinnamon syrup.
- Pumpkin spice: A blend of warming spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, enhancing the autumn flavors.
- Apple sauce: A healthy twist to the recipe, adding moisture and natural sweetness without the need for excessive sugar.
- Black pepper: A touch of black pepper adds a hint of warmth and depth to balance the sweetness of the potatoes.
- Small pieces: Chopping the potatoes into small pieces ensures they cook evenly and blend seamlessly into the batter.
- Hot griddle: Using an electric griddle or skillet allows the pancakes to cook evenly and develop a crispy exterior.
- Sweet potato casserole: Incorporating flavors reminiscent of a sweet potato casserole, these pancakes offer a comforting and indulgent experience.
- Healthy twist: These pancakes provide a healthier alternative to traditional recipes, including apple sauce and minimal oil.
- Warming spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves infuse the pancakes with cozy, autumnal flavors, perfect for chilly mornings.
-Whole wheat flour- You can substitute all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour.
Canned sweet potato- This will save you much time and effort if you are looking for the easy route.
Vegan pancakes- make them vegan by. I will add a recipe here.
- Large bowl: To combine and mix the pancake batter in a separate bowl.
- Whisk or fork: Mix the ingredients thoroughly and ensure a smooth batter.
- Grater or food processor: Grate or process the sweet potatoes and regular potatoes into small pieces.
Large Griddle or nonstick skillet: To cook the pancakes evenly and develop a crispy exterior.
Yes, if you are trying to keep it a little more on the healthier side, you can definitely choose to use almond flour or whole wheat flour. You can also skip out on the sugar that’s in this recipe. If you enjoyed this simple and quick breakfast recipe, you will love my baked lobster tails for dinner.
Absolutely! Adding sweet potatoes to the pancake mix can be a great way to add some extra flavor and protein. You can either grate or mash the sweet potatoes and then mix them into the pancake batter. Just make sure the sweet potatoes are cooked and cooled before adding them to the mix. You might also want to adjust the liquid content of the pancake mix slightly to compensate for the added moisture from the sweet potatoes. Give it a try and enjoy your delicious and nutritious sweet potato pancakes! Is there anything else I can help you with?
In conclusion, leftover sweet potato pancakes are a delightful twist on a classic breakfast treat. These pancakes become a culinary masterpiece by incorporating sweet potatoes' natural sweetness and vibrant color, combined with warm spices and a touch of extra virgin olive oil. Whether enjoyed on a crisp fall morning or any other time of the year, this recipe will bring joy and contentment to all who partake. So, gather your ingredients, heat up your skillet, and indulge in the delightful wonders of sweet potato pancakes.
Last Updated on September 1, 2023 by Ronalyn Alston | Published: January 7, 2021
January 7, 2021