Low sodium mac and cheese is a classic comfort food that brings back fond memories of childhood. It’s a dish that is loved by kids and adults alike, and for good reason. Who can resist the creamy, cheesy goodness of a perfectly cooked mac and cheese? Not to mention that it has a low sodium intake. This definitely makes it a great option for a healthier mac.
While boxed mac and cheese is convenient, there is nothing quite like making it from scratch. In this ultimate guide, we’ll take you step-by-step through the process of making a creamy stovetop mac and cheese from scratch that will have your taste buds dancing. From selecting the right pasta to creating the perfect cheese sauce, we’ve got you covered. So, put on your apron and get ready to impress your friends and family with the best mac and cheese they’ve ever tasted! Enough of the yapping. Let’s make this easy healthy mac and cheese recipe!
What Is Low Sodium Mac and Cheese?
Low-sodium stovetop mac and cheese is a variation of the traditional macaroni and cheese dish that is prepared on the stovetop with reduced sodium ingredients. it’s a great recipe for those that are on a low sodium diet. Not, to mention the perfect side dish. It’s usually prepared over medium-low heat. It typically includes macaroni noodles, a cheese sauce made with low-sodium cheese, and other low-sodium ingredients such as low-sodium milk or broth. The homemade mac dish is cooked on the stovetop until the noodles are cooked and the cheese sauce is melted and creamy. The reduced sodium content makes it a healthier option for those who are watching their sodium intake!
Ingredients For Low Sodium Mac and Cheese
Here are all of the following ingredients. A full list with measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Elbow macaroni– This is one of the main ingredients. I used elbow noodles but you are welcome any noodles you would like such as bow ties or whole wheat elbow macaroni. The low sodium version of this elbow pasta can be found at your local grocery store. Simply follow the package instructions and place them in your prepared baking dish once you’ve completed the other easy recipe steps.
- Unsalted butter– I used unsalted butter in this recipe to help with balancing lower cholesterol levels and
blood pressure. You can use less butter if you would like during the cooking process.
- Cream Cheese- The cream cheese brings in a ton of flavor. A little bit goes a long way.
- Milk- The thing that I truly love about this low sodium macaroni is that you can use just about any type of milk you decide. skim milk, almond milk, whole milk, or even heavy whipping cream. It’s completely up to you.
- Black Pepper- Used to bring in a ton of flavor.
- Garlic powder- I only used black pepper and garlic powder in this recipe but you are welcome to use other seasonings such as chili powder, or onion powder if you want a different taste to your creamy sauce.
- Sharp cheddar cheese- I only used sharp cheddar cheese in this low sodium mac and cheese recipe but you can use a mixture of cheese such as pepper jack cheese. I have original recipe with mac and cheese here that has several types of cheese in it.
How To Make Low Sodium Mac and Cheese on Stovetop?
1) In a saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions. After noodles have cooked until al dente remove them from the stove and drain.
2) To a medium heat pot add the noodles, then milk, pepper, garlic powder, butter, cream cheese and sharp cheese.
3) Stir until the cream cheese and sharp cheese melts and become extra creamy. If not baking at this point you can enjoy!
4) Add your low sodium mac and cheese to a oven safe baking dish. Add cheese over the top and place in a preheated oven of 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
- Cheese- As mentioned above. You can definitely add in a ton of other cheese options. You can pre-shredded cheese or you kraft shredded cheese from the pack. I will mention that the shredded cheese from the pack is a lot more oily.
- Vegan Mac and Cheese- Instead of using regular cheese try using a vegan cheese along with other vegan substitutes to make this entire recipe vegan!
- Toppings– If you want to spruce this low sodium mac and cheese recipe you can simply add toppings such as panko breadcrumbs. To bring in a bit more flavor. I would suggest baking things at this point.
This low sodium mac and cheese recipe isn’t hard to pair with another recipe. The possiblities are endless. You can add a side of flourless fried chicken, broccoli, or even fried chicken without buttermilk. This recipe can be enjoyed by itself. I promise you that it will be just a good!
The first thing you need to know is to not boil the macaroni too long. Check the macaroni periodically to make sure its not too hard but not too soft. If too soft your macaroni will become mushy.
Can you use pre shredded cheese?
Some people are a bit confused on rather or not they can use pre shredded cheese and the answer is yes. Also, I use sharp cheese because it gives the macaroni a more pronounced taste in my opinion. You can also use fresh grated cheese.
Can I use one pot?
The answer is yes. Just make sure you drain the macaroni after you have boiled it.
What can I pair stove top macaroni with?
Can you warm stove top macaroni up after it gets cold?
Yes, I usually prefer my macaroni hot off the stove top. Having to reheat the dish isn’t my preference.
Low Sodium Mac and Cheese
- 16 Once Elbow macaroni
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup Cream cheese
- 1 Cup Milk Milk of your choice
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder
- 8-10 Ounces Sharp cheddar cheese The more cheese the better
- In a saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions. After noodles have cooked until al dente remove them from the stove and drain.16 Once Elbow macaroni
- To a medium heat pot add the noodles, then milk, pepper, garlic powder, butter, cream cheese and sharp cheese.1/2 Cup Cream cheese, 1 Cup Milk, 1/2 Tsp Pepper, 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder, 8-10 Ounces Sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter
- Stir until the cream cheese and sharp cheese melts and become extra creamy. If not baking at this point you can enjoy!
- Add your low sodium mac and cheese to a oven safe baking dish. Add cheese over the top and place in a preheated oven of 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!