Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a beloved Southern classic recipe that boasts a symphony of flavors, featuring succulent pineapple slices enhanced by the vibrant sweetness of maraschino cherries. Picture this: luscious pineapple rings delicately arranged on a bed of velvety cake batter, all kissed with a golden caramelization that will leave your taste buds begging for more. As the cake bakes to perfection, the irresistible aroma of tropical paradise fills the room, creating an anticipation that is simply irresistible. To elevate this dessert further, a generous drizzle of pineapple juice and melted butter infuses each bite with a decadent richness. Whether served fresh from the oven or at room temperature, this pineapple upside-down cake will steal the show and swoon over its delectable combination of flavors and textures. Prepare to be transported to a sunny island getaway, one delightful slice at a time.
Why You Will Love This Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe?
Savory Goodness- This pineapple cake is easy with a yellow cake mix. The taste is insanely delicious, not to mention what a beautiful cake this pineapple sheet cake is! The individual pineapple slices are cooked perfectly in a bundt pan into this fluffy cake, making it the ultimate moist cake/ impressive dessert!
Leftover Cake- This fresh fruit cake is even better the next day. Unsalted butter has a chance to really set in, making it the exact reason you will make it over and over again!
No extra effort- Yes, we all love a good old-fashioned pineapple upside-down cake, but sometimes we need to press that easy button, and with a good old box of Duncan Hines cake mix, you can do just that!
Baking Time- This easy recipe only takes about an hour to make, and like magic, you have a happy cake! No, standing in the kitchen for hours on this classic cake.
Gather Your Ingredients
I know you probably hear this repeatedly, but it’s true. Grab all of your necessary ingredients before you start cooking. Doing this will ensure you don’t miss any elements when you start the recipe. It will also help you to feel less overwhelmed while cooking.
- Brown sugar– The brown sugar is placed into a large bowl made into an egg mixture and then formed into a brown sugar glaze. Once the sugar dissolves, it spreads in the pan’s bottom.
- Butter- I used about a stick of butter to get the results for the best pineapple upside.
- Vegetable oil– Used to help bind the ingredients for the cake flour.
- Milk– The milk helps with bringing in
- Pure vanilla extract– Adds a ton of flavor to this easy pineapple upside down cake recipe.
- Instant vanilla pudding– The star of the show. This helps to bring in a significant amount of flavor and taste.
- Cake mix– I used yellow cake mix to form the perfect cake flour.
- Eggs- A great way to bind the brown sugar together.
- Maraschino Cherries- I placed a maraschino cherry one by one into this pineapple upside-down cake recipe. You will find that this is popular among every easy pineapple upside-down cake recipe.
- Pineapple Slices – I used canned pineapples from the Dole Pineapple company.
- Non-stick spray- Helps keep the cake from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
This isn’t the complete list of ingredients. You can find the full list and ingredients below in the recipe card.
How to make pineapple upside-down cake?
Step 1: Grab all of the ingredients for your recipe! Eggs, butter, vegetable oil, milk, instant vanilla pudding, dark brown sugar, canned sliced pineapples, cherries in a jar, and yellow box cake mix.
Step 2: Grease the bottom and sides of your 6-inch Bundt cake pan with butter. This will ensure that your cake comes out of the pan without sticking.
Step 3: Heat your butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Stir the ingredients until it dissolves. Make sure to do this at a low temperature to prevent burning.
Step 4: Remove your mixture from the stove and add a circular motion around your 6-inch Bundt cake pan (carefully, it will be hot!).
Step 5: Place your canned pineapples in the creases of the pan. Grab cherries and place them in between each pineapple. You can use as many as you like; it’s your cake! Move the 6-inch Bundt cake pan to the side.
Step 6: In another bowl, mix your eggs, then add milk, oil, and instant vanilla pudding. Once thoroughly mixed, add in your yellow cake mix.
Step 7: Mix until the batter is smooth and free of lumps. Pour in a circular motion into the 6-inch Bundt cake pan.
Step 8: Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before attempting to remove from pan.
Step 9: Take a butter knife and gently slide around the cake to ensure it’s not sticking. Grab a cake pan and gently turn the pan upside down while holding the top of the pan. Your cake should easily slide out.
Bundt Cake Pan- I believe using a Bundt cake pan for baking can be a great way to create a beautifully shaped cake with a fantastic jaw-dropping design that you will love!
Other equipment to consider
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Baking sheet or baking pan
- Cooling rack
- Wire whisk
- Oven mitts
- Baking dishes or cake pans
- Electric mixer (handheld or stand mixer)
Always store your pineapple upside cake in an airtight cake container.
Questions on pineapple upside-down cake
Can you freeze pineapple upside down cake?
Yes, you can freeze pineapple upside-down cake. Let the cake cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic or aluminum foil. Place it in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight and bring it to room temperature before serving.
Does pineapple upside-down cake taste better homemade?
I’ve tried this cake both ways, and I must say homemade is always the way to go. However, sometimes I don’t have the time or patience, so using a box cake mix is okay. Yes, I said it, LOL. I can also tell you I’ve tried other homemade cake recipes and couldn’t tell the difference.
Do you use canned pineapples or fresh pineapples?
Like I mentioned before, I’m all for the simpler things in life, so canned it is for me.
Does the fruit go bad?
Yes, fruit can go wrong in a pineapple upside-down cake. The most common fruit used in this type of cake is pineapple, which can spoil if it is not fresh or if it is left sitting for too long. Other fruits, such as cherries or canned fruit, may also spoil if they are not correctly stored or past their expiration date. It is essential to use fresh and adequately stored fruit when making a pineapple upside-down cake to ensure the best taste and avoid potential health risks.
Is the pineapple upside-down cake good for the holidays?
Flex your baking skills and wow your guests with this easy dessert. This cake is definitely a beautiful cake to have on the table for the holidays. The cherries make this dish look really festive. My husband likes to have this cake with ice cream and whipped cream.
How long does pineapple upside cake last?
A pineapple upside-down cake can typically last 2-3 days if stored properly.
Did you enjoy this quick and easy dessert? If so, check out
- Grilled Chicken Burrito
- Broccoli Salad with Cranberries and Bacon
- Garlic Butter Parmesan Smashed Red Potatoes!!
- Chickpea Salad For Weight Loss!!!
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad Recipe
Quick unbelievably tasty pineapple upside down Bundt cake
- Bundt Cake Pan
- 1/3 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 Stick Butter Melted
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable oil
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 3.4oz Instant vanilla pudding
- 1 Box Yellow cake mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 jar Maraschino cherries
- 1 20oz Pineapple slices Canned Save the juice
- Non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray non-stick spray on the bottom and sides of your Bundt cake pan. This will ensure that your cake comes out of the pan without sticking.Non-stick spray
- Mix your butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Stir the ingredients until it dissolves.1/3 Cup Brown sugar, 1 Stick Butter
- Add in a circular motion around your Bundt cake pan.
- Place your canned pineapples in each of the creases of the pan. Place cherries in between each pineapple. Set the Bundt cake pan to the side.1 20oz Pineapple slices, 1 jar Maraschino cherries
- Mix in your yellow cake mix, granulated sugar, and instant vanilla pudding.1 3.4oz Instant vanilla pudding, 1 Box Yellow cake mix, 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- Next in a separate bowl add eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and oil. Once thoroughly mixed, add to your dry cake mixture.1/3 Cup Milk, 1 Tsp Pure vanilla extract, 1 Box Yellow cake mix, 3 Eggs, 1/3 Cup Vegetable oil
- Mix until the batter is smooth and free of lumps. Pour in a circular motion into the Bundt cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before attempting to remove from pan.
- Take a butter knife and gently slide around cake to make sure it’s not sticking. Grab a cake pan and gently turn pan upside down on the cake pan while holding the top of pan. Your cake should easily slide out.